Bonus Chapter (5) Little One

Start from the beginning

"I knew I keep you around for a reason," I joke, earning a light shove and eye roll from my better half.

"Here," he holds the list out to the girls, ignoring their chatter as he maneuvers toward the clothes.

If I know one thing about Alexander, it's this: the boy hates shopping. Like, with an intense passion. It's barely once a month that I can convince him to come shopping with me, and only because he gets quite annoyed with my constant nagging about his drab outfits. Sometimes, it's a borderline struggle to drag him to the mall. I always win though. Always.

But right now, he seems content, almost, no grimace visible on his face, his shoulders relaxed as he picks up a small white onesie. It's front is decorated in pleats of cream and pink lace, looking dainty and absolutely adorable. I catch the almost paternal gleam in his eye as he drops it into the basket and continues on.

"How about this, brother?" Izzy calls, gesturing to a grey car seat adorned with dusty rose accent colours. He smiles and turns to me, raising a brow.

"I think it's perfect," I reply, watching him send a nod to Iz before they continue on. A dedicated staff member can practically see the money signs on us as she follows the girls and relays items back to the front for easy checkout.

"Aweh, Alexander, look!" I wander over to the display where a small lamp sits. It's a purple teapot lamp, outrageously priced and absolutely adorable.

"Magnus, no." His tone is stern, and I don't bother to hide the pout. I can hear him sigh behind me. "Don't pull that face, it's an impulse buy and we both know it." Trying to reason with me never works, and this we both know well. It's almost cute how he tries to deny me what I want. Almost.

"But she will love it, I know it."

"She's not even born yet, let alone able to love things with a passion like you do." He argues, quirking a brow.

"I just know it. Please?" I beg. It isn't long until he drops his arm to his side with a thump and sighs dramatically.

"Whatever, fine." I laugh and pick the box up, ignoring the outrageous price tag and handing it to the lovely woman whose been shadowing us like a vulture for our wallets.

Clary and Izzy make their way over to us carrying packs of tiny socks and bibs, all perfectly cute and sweet. I watch smugly as Alec almost melts at the small ruffles of pastel lace adorning the ankles of the newborn socks.

"She's not even born yet and you're already whipped." I chuckle, earning a well deserved smack to the arm. Yet, he had no idea how wrapped around that tiny finger I already am, too.

"Magnus," Alec breathes, drifting toward the other side of the store. And then I see it. It's a grey wooden rocking chair, stained to look shiny yet rustic. The back is covered with a plush looking cover in light purple, a matching cushion on the seat itself. And in front of it sits the most pretentious thing I've ever laid eyes on.

A plush, fluffy, pastel purple ottoman.

"Seriously?" I let out, laughing around my words because my tough, rugged, fashion-lacking husband is in love with the most soft, gentle looking piece of furniture I've ever seen.

"Yes, seriously. I can just imagine rocking her to sleep in this at night, can't you?" And damn him, because of course I can, and it looks so right that I could never say no. "I let you buy the stupid tea pot lamp so shut up." He pouts adorably and all three of us laugh at his antics. The worker comes up to us with a soft smile and nods at the chair and ottoman.

"Boxed up for you?" She asks knowingly. Alec grumbles stubbornly but I just smile.

"Yes, please. We'll take it."