EPISODE 15

Aaron

I was about to meet my half-brother and sister, and my stepdad. We pulled into a driveway to a beautiful two story home. My mother got out, and Austen started to as well, but I sat there frozen.

"Maybe we should have stayed in a hotel," I said so only Austen could hear.

"I can call and get us one."

I looked at my mother. My shoulders sagged. "Maybe in a little bit. We'll see how it goes." I got out of the car and helped Austen out. Once she was on her feet and had her crutches, I went to grab the bags. I stopped when a teen boy and a man came out to help me.

The younger guy smiled at me. "Are you Aaron?"

I nodded. "Yes, I am."

"I'm Joshua," he said with a smile that I couldn't help but return.

Austen was watching me closely. I knew the moment I told her I wanted to leave, she'd get me out of here.

"This is my girlfriend, Austen."

She adjusted the crutch under her right arm and held her hand out to him. "Hey."

He shook her hand. "It's nice to meet you."

"Let's go inside and get you two settled. I'm Peter. Your stepdad." The older man had a kind smile as he held his hand out to me. I shook it.

"It's nice to meet you."

We all headed inside and after helping Austen sit, I propped her leg on a pillow. I was so nervous my hands were shaking. I smiled a little as a little girl that looked like my mother came over to me. She grinned from ear-to-ear, revealing the most adorable gap between her teeth.

"I'm Madilyn. You must be Aaron." Before I could respond she launched herself at me, hugging me. It was a complete shock.

"It's nice to meet you, Madilyn." I didn't know what to do.

Austen laughed. "Looks like I have some competition," she teased.

"Madilyn you're making your brother uncomfortable. It'll take time for him to get to know us," mother said as she gently pulled Madilyn back from me.

I smiled at Austen before putting an arm around her shoulder. The next few hours were a mixture between amazing and awkward.

It took awhile before we all were able to talk without feeling awkward. I laughed as my younger brother told me some stories. He was a hilarious mess. My mother definitely had her hands full with that one.

"We should probably order something for dinner. What do you guys like?"

I looked at Austen. "What do you want?"

"I'm good with anything. I'm not picky." She smiled. I could tell she was nervous too.

"How about subs?" Madilyn asked with a smile towards us.

"Sounds good to me," I said as I smiled at her.

Everyone told Peter what they wanted, then Austen and I went up to the guest room to rest for a bit. I sat on the bed next to her.

"My life keeps getting weirder," I said as I closed my eyes.

She played with my hair. "I love you, Aaron."

"I love you, too, Austen."

"So, I'm your girlfriend again?" She smiled hopefully at me when I looked at her. She absentmindedly started playing with my mother's necklace that was around her neck.