Chapter 11

-Previously-

Joel led her out of the room, and they went back to bed, sleeping softly and didn't know what awaits them in the morning.

----------------------------------

The sun rays shined through the cracked windows of the house, and Devyn woke up and yawned as she stretched out her arms and looked next to her, seeing that Joel was still asleep and was shivering slightly.

She smiled softly and leaned down to kiss his forehead. "Joel, wake up"

Joel shifted slightly and opened his eyes that met hers in front of him. He smiled a bit and sat up, stretching and put his arm around her waist and pulled her close to him.

"Mornin' beautiful."

"Good morning to you too. It's colder this morning than it was yesterday."

"Yeah it is. Those blankets were too thin." He sighed.

"It was all we had, but I think we should get going if we wanna make it to the university."

"Yea, I agree. Go on and wake up Ellie and get your stuff. I'll get the horse."

"Got it." She turned to go over to Ellie, but he quickly caught her in a soft but passionate kiss and pulled away, going to the garage.

Devyn smiled and leaned down, shaking Ellie a bit. "Ells, wake up. It's time to go."

Ellie whined  as she curled up in a ball to keep warm. "mm... no.."

"I know your tired and cold, but we gotta keep movin'. C'mon."

"Okay okay.." She mumbled and sat up yawning, and reached for her bag. She stood up with Devyn and smiled sleepily.

Devyn smiled back as she grabbed her bag. "Let's go kiddo."

They both went to the garage where Joel had the horse ready and they both hopped on the back.

"You two good?"

"Yep.. we're good," Ellie said.

"And cold, so get a move on" Devyn teased.

Joel chuckled and led the horse out and continued their way out.

-Timeskip to the university-

"So then if you clear out the ten yards then you're back at.. first down?" Ellie said as Joel explained to her what football pays were.

"First down, that's right." He nodded

"man, that's confusing."

"You just gotta play it a couple times, then it'll make sense."

"Man, my dad and I used to watch football all the time when I was younger. I never knew what it meant, but it was good with just me and him." Devyn smiled at the memory

"Hey Devyn, what was your dad like? You never really mentioned him much." Ellie asked.

"Well, he was.. hm, how do I put this.." She thought "He was playful, and caring, and stayed home with me while my mom worked and couldn't find a babysitter. He was a part-time worker at an auto body shop so his hours were adjustable, but man, we used to do so much." 

"Like what?"

"He would take me to movies, to the arcade, even ice skating when we went on vacation during the winter time."

"Ice skating?"

"Yeah, it is what it sounds like. You have shoes with really sturdy blades on the bottom and you would skate on a solid patch of ice. I use to fall a lot, but I got better as I grew older. Heh, when my little brother turned 4 we took him for the first time and I guided him through the whole thing.." She started to tear up

"You miss those days.. huh?"

"Of course.. who wouldn't? I would do anything to get them back."

"Well, the important thing is that you have us now, you're not alone." Joel spoke up and Devyn smiled.

"Yeah."

After a few moments of silence went by, Ellie got bored and started humming a little tune. Joel looked back at her and Devyn giggled a bit.

"What are you doin'?"

"I'm bored, and it's too quiet."

Devyn perked up "I could um.. I could sing if you want me to."

Ellie smiled "You sing? I wanna hear!"

"Now I'm not sure we should.." Joel started and Devyn interrupted 

"Joel, it'll be okay. There's no one around, no hunter, no infected, we're fine."

He sighed and gave in. "Fine, but keep it quiet" He said but was also intrigued of how she would sound.

Devyn cleared her throat and took a deep breath as the words escaped her lips.

 Should I try to hide
The way I feel inside
My heart for you?

Would you say that you
Would try to love me too?

In your mind
Could you ever be
Really close to me?

I can tell the way you smile
If I feel that I
Could be certain then
I would say the things I want to say tonight

Joel glanced back at her, engulfed by her calm and beautiful voice. It seemed to suit her quite well, and Ellie smiled at her as she listened.

But 'til I can see
That you'd really care for me
I will dream
That someday you'll be
Really close to me

I can tell the way you smile
If I feel that I
Could be certain then
I would say the things I want to say tonight

 But 'til I can see
That you'd really care for me
I'll keep trying to hide
The way I feel inside

Devyn finished and blushed as she saw both of them staring at her in awe, and she twiddled her thumbs. "W-what?"

"You're amazing! I never knew you could sing THAT good" Ellie smiled brightly.

"I gotta say, you are pretty good there Dev," Joel complimented and smiled as well.

"Aw, thanks but, I ain't that good."

"Um, you so are. And that does it." Ellie crossed her arms.

Devyn chuckled and stopped, listening around them as she looked around. "Wait, stop."

Joel pulled the reins back and listened as well. "You heard that too?"

"Clickers.. go, go now."

He flicked them and the horse ran, stopping at a closed gate and Devyn cursed as she got down and tried to open it. "Shit.." She turned and went back "Ellie, stay with the horse, Joel we need to get rid of those before they get over here."

Joel nodded as he got down and pulled out his shotgun "Got it."

"Be careful you two.." Ellie said

"We'll be back. No worries." 

"Good luck.."

Devyn smiled and pulled out her machete, then went around the corner with Joel, heading towards the sound of the clickers.

'We'll need it'