Akiteru could handle not being given allowance since he has a part time job but Kei was still young. He couldn't legally get a job yet. 

Their mother stomped away muttering to herself about all the housework that she still has to do and if she did not do it, the house is going to stay a pigsty. The only places she didn't have to clean was Kei's and Akiteru's rooms. They are already more responsible than their father. 

Akiteru turned Kei around and led him out of the house. 

"I'm sorry Kei. I tried to leave before it happened but I was too late." Akiteru apologised when they reached the playground. They both crawled under the playground into the tunnel. Well, Akiteru had his body sticking out the sides. 

Kei shook his head. It wasn't Akiteru's fault. He was the one who wanted to check up on things. 

"Are mum and dad okay? I don't like it when they shout." Kei said as he curled in on himself, using his hands to cover his ears. 

"Yeah they're fine bud. Just a little stressed. They'll go back to normal tomorrow." 

Kei nodded and leaned onto Akiteru. Kei wanted to cry, but he held it in. He hated shouting. Hearing people shout always made him really scared, like he did something wrong. 

Akiteru held Kei tightly in his arms. Even if the position was a little awkward since he couldn't fit into the small tunnel made for kids. 

Things weren't fine. Kei would find out eventually but Akiteru wanted to protect Kei for as long as he could. 

For the next month, their mother refused to do anything for their father. She still gave Kei allowance whenever their father had no money to spare, she still cooked breakfast and dinner for them minus their father. She did their laundry and also took some time off for herself to relax, something she doesn't do often. She locked her bedroom door so their father couldn't sleep with her and was forced to sleep on the couch. 

Soon, the date when payment was due came and went, they had no idea if their father had enough money to pay. Their electricity went off, their water supply dwindled. Everything was shut off. 

Kei and Akiteru used candles and a handheld fan at night, luckily the hot days have yet to begin. 

Their father couldn't take it and had begged their mother to help pay the bills. She made him beg for two days and she finally gave in, feeling sorry for her sons to be caught up in their fight. 

Their father reverted back to his old habits the next day. Kei thinks that their mother had totally given up by then and had divorce already on her mind.

~

"Hey Kei. How are you? Are you free on September 27?" Kuroo's voice was loud and as obnoxious as ever. 

"I'm fine. I'm free. Why are you asking?" 

"Oh no reason. I just have a day off from school and I didn't take an extra shift at work, I thought we could meet up and just hang out?" 

"Sure I don't mind." Kei replied indifferently. Kuroo wondered if Kei was having a bad day. Usually if Kei was feeling good, he would indulge Kuroo in his conversations... Well more than usual. 

"I was actually thinking of going to the zoo with Bokuto and Akaashi... Won't you come too?" 

"Whatever." 

"And also there's a dinosaur event too. You'd like that right?" 

"Hm." Kei was definitely interested in it now. 

"Okay. I'll text you the details. I have to go. Class is going to start soon. I love you yeah?" 

"Yeah. Love you too." Kei blushed at his own words. It was one thing hearing Kuroo say it, but saying it himself. He should be used to it, but he isn't.