Chapter Three: Tooth and Claw

Start from the beginning

Bell? she thought. Dayyyum. "Let him approach," an upper-class female English voice came from the carriage behind the men.

"I don't think that's wise, ma'am," the captain called back.

"Let them approach."

The captain nodded. "You will approach the carriage, and show all due deference."

Jessie followed the Doctor to the carriage, who smiled as the door was opened. "Jessie, might I introduce her Majesty Queen Victoria." Jessie's eyes widened when she saw the Queen. "Empress of India and Defender of the Faith."

"Jessie Nightshade, ma'am," she introduced herself with a small curtsy. "And my apologies on being so . . . " She made a face at the Doctor. "Naked."

"I've had five daughters," Victoria replied, waving a hand. "It's nothing to me. But you, Doctor . . . show me these credentials." He did, and she examined them, and her face brightened. "Why didn't you say so immediately?" she asked. "It states clearly here that you have been appointed by the Lord Provost as my protector."

"Does it?" the Doctor asked in surprise, taking back the psychic paper. Jessie jabbed him in the side, and he quickly covered. "Yes, it does. Good. Good. Then let me ask, why is Your Majesty traveling by road when there's a train all the way to Aberdeen?"

"A tree on the line."

"An accident?"

"I am the Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland," Victoria scoffed. "Everything around me tends to be planned."

"So an assassination attempt?" Jessie asked. "There are people out to kill you?"

"I'm quite used to staring down the barrel of a gun," Victoria assured her.

"Sir Robert MacLeish lives but ten miles hence," the captain told them. "We've sent word ahead. He'll shelter us for tonight, then we can reach Balmoral tomorrow."

"This Doctor and his timorous beastie will come with us."

"Yes, ma'am. We'd better get moving. It's almost nightfall."

"Indeed. And there are stories of wolves in these parts. Fanciful tales intended to scare the children. But good for the blood, I think. Drive on!"

"Timorous beastie?" Jessie hissed to the Doctor as they walked with the soldiers. "Timorous beastie?"

"First thing that came to mind," the Doctor replied in a whisper, reverting back to his London accent. "Like the accent?"

"Love it," she told him, patting his arm. "The thing is that when you say assassination, I think of presidents and world leaders. I don't think of her."

"1879? She's had . . . " He tilted his head, thinking. "Oh, six attempts on her life?" Jessie's jaw dropped and he grinned at her. "And I'll tell you something else. We just met Queen Victoria!"

"I know!" she squealed.

"What a laugh!"

"She was just sitting there!"

"Like a stamp."

An idea came to her head. "I want her to say 'we are not amused.' Five bucks says I can make her say it."

"Well, if I gambled on that, it'd be an abuse of my privileges of a traveler in time."

Jessie pointed at him. "Fine. Ten bucks."

He looked at her. "Done."

***

Jessie looked around Sir Robert's estate when they made it. She had learned that the captain's name was Reynolds, but it was mainly the Doctor who did the talking. "Your Majesty," a finely dressed man said as he entered the courtyard.