Chapter 4

I gathered my things from math class and cautiously walked to my locker. I gulped and pulled the combination for my lock out of my pocket. Payton was next to me. She opened her locker like it was nothing. I tried my combo. 22-14-23. I pulled hard, but it didn't work. I tried again. I grunted as I failed again.

"You need help?" Payton asked. I nodded. I gave her my combination, and she opened it quick. "Bring your lock and combo to lunch and I'll teach you, OK?" I smiled and nodded. We walked to science class together. To my luck, it was Mr. Nano.

We were assigned to specific seats in class. I was assigned to my seat in homeroom. Payton was sent to the other side of the classroom. I was alone. Bummer.

We had to learn about energy. Kinetic and potential. This was boring. Mr. Nano would pick a boring video and then in a monotone voice, talk about what the video meant. On top of that, we have to take notes on everything important.

"Alright class, your first quiz will be next Monday." Everyone moaned. I stayed quiet. Quizzes were nothing to me. They were easy, and when you take as many notes as me, you never fail.

After history came lunch, and I had no idea where to sit. Then I see Payton with a few other girls I somewhat knew, so I sat with them. "Hi." Payton said to me, smiling. I waved and looked at the other girls. "Oh, this is Lily," Payton said pointing to a blonde girl with a ponytail. "Hi." She said to me. I waved as Payton continued. "This is Maria, Katie, and Kennedy." "Hi," they said nicely. Maria had black, curly hair and a red flower. She seemed Mexican. But I wasn't judging. Katie had light brown hair with purple tips, and freckles. She also had big dark green eyes. And Kennedy had dark brown hair, and dark brown eyes.

"Oh wait! I know you! Your Shyler! I mean Skyler!" Katie said. I nodded. "Oh, Skyler, I like that name." Payton said. I smiled. The lunch monitor called our table up to get lunch, so I followed Katie up.

The lunch lady had put up three trays of chicken nuggets and mashed potatoes, and one tray of pizza and green beans. Payton had taken the pizza, and Kennedy and Katie each took chicken nuggets. I took the last tray of chicken nuggets. Thank goodness. Maria and Lily had both asked for a salad behind me.

Once I finished eating, Kennedy and I walked up to dump our trays and put them on the counter. "So, you like to talk much?" She asked. I shook my head no. "That's OK," she said. She was nice.