"I am sure he will call later, he was likely just busy at the shop today" Topaz added.

"Yeah sure" Brace politely acknowledged her attempt to make her feel better.

Still looking down at her phone as if willing it to ring or a text to be received, Case came into the kitchen and asked Brace if she was ready to head out. Brace slipped her cell into the back pocket of her jeans as she gave him a nod and he guided her towards the door with a hand in the small of her back resting on the slight rise of her ass, they headed for the door. Taking the keys to her parents SUV off the hook she started out the door when she heard Topaz call out to Case,

"It's alright, you go get in I'll just be a second and then I'm right behind you" Case told her

"Okay" Brace said letting the door close behind her.

Topaz came forward despite the look that Jake gave her clearly saying mind her own business.

"You do know this is only a temporary thing right? Like it was before." Topaz said to Case

"I don't know what you mean?" Case replied meeting her directly

"You know exactly what I mean, just like you know that she can't love you like you love her because she loves him too much, she always has. That is why the minute Vice was dead, she was back here and despite what she might have voiced out loud those that knew her well knew who she was running back to."

"Well they aren't together now are they?"

"Case, stop putting your own life on hold for something that won't ever happen. It isn't fair to you or her, as she will feel terrible if she lose your friendship over it but she won't give him up."

"I won't stand in the way of what she really wants, even if it is him. I love her too much for that." Case said with a tilt of his chin

"Thank you, despite what you think he is a good guy and they deserve to be happy."

Case acknowledged her response with a nod and headed out the door  to join Brace in the SUV. As she was under orders to not drive for a couple of days with the medication the doctors had her on Case was in charge of the driving while Brace gave directions to Pete's diner.

Pulling up outside, Case gave it a skeptical look. Brace laughed, it might not look like much but trust me the food is fantastic and well worth looking past the '70s diner decor. With a smirk Brace led him inside and got a corner booth, waving to Pete (the cook) as she passed by his open window. Sitting down the waitress quickly came over and took their order, bringing their drinks while Pete worked on their food. While they ate the chatted making plans for the following day to do some sight seeing, and Brace told him she needed to stop at the dorm and pick up some stuff so that she could crash back at her parents to keep him company while he was there. It wasn't long before Case looked down and realized their food was completely demolished.

"You weren't wrong, that was delicious! I wasn't even aware that I had eaten it all while we talked!"

"I told you, Pete makes a mean burger and fries" she said with a smile.

"You did! Now I think I better get you home, you're starting to look exhausted."

Brace was feeling like she might have overdone it a little too soon with the outing but she couldn't regret it, she had fun out with Case tonight and it had helped take her mind off the fact that Lex hadn't called her to check on her. Standing up, she shrugged back into her jacket while Case paid for their meal, she caught his attention and pointed to the washroom to let him know that she was heading to the little girls room for a moment. She heard the bikes while in there but didn't think anything of it until she exited and saw the guys in the customary booth. When they saw her they calling out to her, smiling she walked over and exchanged greetings and some smart ass comments when warranted with a couple of the bolder guys. Brace took note that Lex wasn't with the guys either, wondering where he was and if he was alright or angry at her after she had run to Case at the hospital.

Hearing the bell over the door chime as someone else came in she glanced up only to make eye contact with Lex as he entered the diner, with Trina in tow complaining about how his helmet had messed up her hair. Brace's air hissed out of her lungs as the room got quiet, breaking eye contact with Lex she turned back to the crew,

"You guys have a good night and try and stay out of trouble!" she said with a smile

"Of course, we always do" Mike said with a smirk, "But hey, party this Friday at my place again, your coming right?"

Brace sensing that Lex was heading this way knew she had to make a quick get-away or risk bawling in front of everyone,

"Ummm, maybe, will let you know" she said with a small smile and turning heading towards the door, keeping her head turned away from Lex as she past as fast as she could without actually running.

As she passed, Lex reached out to grab her hand trying to detain her but she pulled away and moved past him and out the door without looking back. Case observed from the entrance and swiftly followed her out, turning around to intercept Lex as he heard him call her name.

"I think you need to leave her alone" Case said softly as she got into the SUV's passenger side.

"I think you need to mind your own business" Lex replied with a snarl

"She clearly isn't interested in talking to you, so just leave her be"

"Why so you can swoop in and play the hero again?"

"Jealous that she chose me over you? Smarts doesn't it?" Case taunted

With that Lex saw red, he drew back his fist and nailed Case straight in the face but Case had anticipated what his comment would do and had braced himself against the blow, although it didn't stop him from admitting that Lex could hit like a freight train. Case wasn't about to take the hit an walk away, Lex had what Case wanted and he couldn't even appreciated it! Case drew back his fist and nailed Lex back, and with that it was on.

************

A/N - Leave a comment or vote on the chapter to let me know what you think.