Chapter Two

It's been a rough three months. For me at least. I never thought losing my best friend would cause so much heartache in pain. I wish it could be easier. Dad was right when he told me it was going to be hard. It didn't help that my depression hit a downward spiral. I was hurting more than I've ever hurt. I didn't want to be here at the low points. I knew I had to fight it. Dad was there for me in the rough times, and so was Fadi. I'm glad they were here for me because without them I'd be so lost in this world.

Em died in the beginning of the school year, and it was hard. I'll never forget that day. September 27th, that was when my life took a turn for the worse. I lost everything or so it felt that way. I lost her and it felt like the sun going down on me. I said before I was having low points. It hasn't changed but I can grieve better now. I to this day still can't get over her death. I can't get over the fact that I couldn't help her. It haunts me, even eats me alive. I just go on and hope that I can one day overcome all this heartache and pain that her death has caused me.

Tonight was an easier night. Well it wasn't really night time yet. It was maybe two. I wasn't in school since I was skipping. Dad didn't know that yet. He'd eventually find out when I wasn't where I was supposed to be when they came to pick me up. I made my way somehow to the cemetery where Em had a plot. I came here as often as I could. Even when dad told me it wasn't a great idea because of the press everywhere. I haven't been spotted out here yet. I make myself look very bad I guess. I try to wear sweaters and heavy jackets that aren't mine so they get thrown off. There wasn't any snow yet. Even though it was the middle of December and close to Christmas. I recall it being near the end of school so the break must be coming soon.

I was sitting on the cold ground when I got a phone call. I had to pull myself together in order to answer the phone. "Hello?" I heard an angry voice on the other line. "Where the hell are you? Your father is not impressed." Why wasn't he talking to me then? "I am somewhere." "Yeah well where. He thought you were at school when we came to pick you up. Kim told us you left in between third and fourth. Why Sam?" "Let me explain something to you. When someone has severe illnesses you can't be speaking to them in that demeanor. I don't like being yelled at nor do I like being disrespected." He laughed at me as I could barely say the last word. My stutter and lisp haven't been in my favor lately. "I think you're confused. I'm not doing either. I'm speaking in a civil manor. Now your father would like to speak with you, and you know he's not feeling well so please behave." I scoffed at him as I'm assuming he put dad on the phone. "Darling where are you?" "Da-dad I'm visiting Em. Don't be mad. I'm..I'm so-sor-sorry." "I'm not mad at all. I'm just worried. You sound freezing. Are you wearing enough clothes? I didn't see what you wore this morning before you left." He was asleep when Fadi and I left. So he never saw me wearing just a sweater and some track pants. I was freezing. At first it wasn't so cold but now it is. "I'm okay dad. I'm just comfortable." I hated lying to him. I just couldn't tell him I was dying of the frigid air. "Okay well we're almost there so sit tight." He hung up after I said another thing.

I waited for them for another ten minutes. I was literally an idiot for not wearing a jacket. I saw dad come out of the car in his pea coat. "Darling you're literally blue. Please get in the car before we have another situation on our hands." "Dad I can't feel my face. I..I..am so cold." The tears that were coming out of my eyes were warm on my face. He grabbed my hand. His was so warm compared to mine. "Oh my you're so cold. Come on let's get in the car." He led me to the car and we both go in the back seat. I felt an instant climate change. Definitely much nicer in here than out there. I was an idiot for wearing barely and clothes. Dad held me against him. He claims he was helping me warm up. He even pulled his jacket off and placed it around me as I struggled to keep warm.

We got back home after Fadi took us to a coffee shop. He insisted that we went. So when we finally got home I sat down on the couch under three blankets. I was trying to get as warm as I could. "See I told you this morning you should have put more layers on." I mocked him. "See I told you this morning.." I was cut off by him. "Will you shut up you're being so annoying?" I screamed at him. Dad walked into the lounge. Fadi was up in my face. "Will you stop screaming Jesus Christ." "Will you get out of my face?" He mocked me this time. I screamed louder. He grabbed my face by my cheeks. Dad was oblivious to this at the moment. He got right into my face and whispered. "Shut the fuck up or I will fucking smash your face against the bloody coffee table, and if you think I'm joking then go ahead scream some more. See what happens after." He let go of my face and got up. I was shook. Dad finally looked over to us. My eyes were wide. Fadi turned on the television. "Darling is everything alright?" I didn't answer him. I was afraid my head was going to be smashed onto the table if I spoke. He was silent for a moment. "Well are you gonna answer me?" I went to go answer him. As soon as I opened my mouth on cue Fadi smashed my head onto the coffee table not thinking about dad standing there watching the whole thing.