08 - Starbucks Staredown

Start from the beginning

"Oh my god, you guys are all crazy, aren't you?" I asked, taking a step back.

Seth cautiously put a hand on my shoulder. "Don't be afraid. Just let us explain."

"I mean, I figured she was a little messed up in the head," I said, nodding in Mara's direction, who in turn, scowled at me, "But the rest of you too? I mean, do you hear yourselves? Demons? Throat slitting?"

"Wait 'til she hears about the dream traveling," Elijah whispered to AJ, who grinned.

"Jesus Christ, you're all insane. I'm calling Luke and leaving."

Seth grabbed hold of my wrist as I reached for my cell. This was the first time I had ever seen his composure slip, revealing the desperation in his eyes. "Rory, please. I wouldn't involve you if it wasn't important. You need to listen to us. We really need your help."

Mara snorted. "She can't help us. She can't even freaking remember anything! How is someone like that supposed to help us? We're just wasting our time, Seth."

"Shut up. You're not helping," Seth snapped. Then he said to me, "Look, just hear us out. We're not crazy, okay? And even so, how much crazier are we than a girl who wakes up like this every day?" Before I could react, he yanked on my sleeve and held my arm up for the other three to see.

Mara sucked in her breath, her eyes following the trails of scars and cuts.

I felt my cheeks heat up. Embarrassed, I rolled my sleeve back down. "You had no right to do that."

"We can help you," Elijah said, his tone soothing but with a hint of anxiety. "Please."

I cautiously glanced at the four of them, searching for any tell-tale signs of insanity, but couldn't find anything. They all looked so lost, yet hopeful. Even Mara's fire seemed to simmer as she plopped back into the chair she had been sitting on when we first came in. Elijah motioned at the empty chair next to him. Seth pulled it out for me, gesturing for me to sit.

I sighed dejectedly. "Fine."

"Fantastic!" Elijah said, smiling cheerfully.

"How do I start," Seth wondered aloud.

He and Elijah sat in the two chairs around me, and Mara and AJ were situated on the other side of the round table. Mara had finished her drink and was stabbing at the paper cup with her blade.

"I found one of those," I said, trying to fill the empty silence.

They all turned towards me.

"Found what?" Seth asked.

I pointed to the gleaming metal dagger in her hand. "Her blade."

Mara rolled her eyes dramatically and stuck her finger into the ring at the end. "This is a kunai knife, moron."

Seriously, what was her problem? Even if I didn't know the fancy name, I'm pretty sure it was still a blade. I was about to respond to her snide comment when Seth interjected, "You found it? Where?"

"I woke up with it in my bed a couple weeks ago. I still have it in my room—" I started, but I couldn't finish because they all started talking over me, momentarily forgetting I was there.

"It must've been from the chase. How is that possible?" Elijah asked.

"This might be a good thing," Seth said, rubbing his hands together with excitement.

"But what does it mean?" AJ asked.

"That she's a freaking demon!"

Obviously, that last one was Mara.