50 - Old Endings, New Beginnings

Start from the beginning

That afternoon, they went off into their natural pairs to see and do things at Hogwarts for the final time. Hermione and Draco were together again, alone, and decided to go to the Tower. It was their last opportunity to sit there, talk... probably kiss, but also remember all the things that had happened there.

They went to the trapdoor, and Draco helped Hermione in. She stood up, and looked around at the room. It was no different to the first time she had been in there, but it held more meaning now.

"This place has seen a lot of stuff, hasn't it?" she mused, turning to Draco. He nodded.

"Panic attacks, self-harm, crying, dark conversations. Nice things, too, of course. We had our first first kiss here, but that wasn't in the best circumstances." Draco grinned at Hermione, who rolled her eyes and smiled back.

"We've slept in here. A few times, actually. It's seen us heal and get worse, and it's seen us as we are now. A little less broken. I hope, anyway."

"You seem pretty alright to me," Draco assured her.

"Only 'alright'? Am I not perfection personified?" Hermione asked indignantly, still grinning.

"Of course not, love," Draco said with a chuckle, hugging her close. "You'd be terribly boring if you were." Hermione rested her head against his chest, listening to his heart beat, slightly faster than normal, and feeling the rise and fall of his breath.

"I feel like everything we do in here has to matter, now, because it's the last time we'll be here." Hermione said, her voice muffled slightly by his chest.

"Yeah, I suppose, but no more than normal. It's still just a room. I'm sure some other students will discover it, and use it for snogging in, or something."

"Don't ruin it Draco! No, it'll stay being a place for calming down, for feeling better, and only for sharing with people you trust."

"You trust me now, then."

"Yes, yes I do." Hermione smiled up at him. He put his hand under her chin and pulled her lips to his. It was a gentle kiss, a final kiss in this place that held so many memories for them. Hermione's hands went to his waist as Draco's fingers tangled in her hair. The warmth that spread between them never ceased to amaze Hermione. How could one person make her feel so comfortable? It was wonderful.

They stood there, holding each other and loving their last time in that room for longer than they would later admit to the others. It was too perfect for them to leave. The Tower was the place where their relationship had begun; first as trust, then as friends, and now as lovers.

"We should probably go soon," Hermione said, her hands against Draco's chest as they parted briefly.

"Do we have to?" Draco complained, kissing Hermione's jaw a few times. "I want to stay here forever."

"We'll have an entire house for this tomorrow, don't worry. I'm not going anywhere without you," she smiled.

***

"Well, students, it has been a rather successful year," Professor Clark said to everyone assembled in the Great Hall, before their final meal.  "There have been a lot of changes since last year, as you all understand, and you have dealt with them very well. So much has happened, and I am proud of every one of you for making the most of your time here. The results for OWLs and NEWTs have been amazing. So many students have got Os in subjects, and have proven that you can all achieve great things if you put your minds to it.

"Of course, this means we have to say goodbye to our seventh years. They had completed their education; Hogwarts cannot teach them anything more. For that, I salute you. You've already got all the qualifications you need to get jobs and move forward in your lives. I wish you all the best of luck in your futures, wherever you go.