"If it's that easy, how come we didn't have it available sooner?" I question.

"The cost is enormous. The amount of energy it takes for one trip is equal to what it would take to power four million large cities. It was hundreds of years before we could find an efficient energy source," my counterpart fills me in.

"Those are the armbands, right?"

"Yes. They're filled with a mixture of chemicals that takes energy from a person's cells. That's why you see all of those colors- your body is half-dead so your brain starts hallucinating. It's also why you feel disoriented when you reach your destination. All of your energy suddenly rushes back into you."

"I see." All of this is new, and I shudder. If the simple workings of time travel are a surprise to me, then what else are they hiding?

"How do you know all of this?" I ask.

Maxx looks shocked. "It's common knowledge. You can find it anywhere you look."

"Hmm. Everything is banned by the TKA in my dimension."

"That sucks," he jokes.

"It does," I return. "Am I allowed to go explore on my own for a bit?" I anxiously bite the inside of my lip.

"I don't see why not," Vanessa answers. She had been flicking through some information on her tablet.

"Great. Thanks. I'll meet you back here in a few hours," I yell over my shoulder.

"See you then," Maxx shouts back.

I follow my instincts to navigate the labyrinth of hallways outside of the room. My destination is uncertain, but I head towards the least traveled route. Something is definitely up, and I aim to find out what.

Half an hour flies by as I traipse through room after room. I'm just walking into another hallway when I hear footsteps behind me. Without thinking I duck into a room and hide. My hand flies to my pistol, ready to be used at any second.

My breathing is light and fast as I stare intently at the entrance to the room. The person is nearing my hiding place. If they discover me, I could be in big trouble.

They round the corner. My breath catches as it is revealed to be... Vanessa. I nearly sigh with relief.

She continues on, and I sneak out after her. All shame aside, I'd like to ask how parallel Maxx was able to coerce her into dating him.

I have no idea where she's going until she walks towards the room where I went after arguing with Bil. My footsteps slow as I begin to follow more cautiously.

Vanessa stops in front of a clear glass room. I hadn't noticed it before. She walks up to the retina scanner. It activates and does its job, but only emits a loud beeping. Her shoulders sag as she realizes that she hasn't accomplished her goal.

A minute passes, and then she turns to leave again. I dive behind an overturned box and pray she doesn't notice me.

To my great luck, Vanessa doesn't. She turns and strides back to the room where I first entered this universe.

I could follow her, but honestly the locked door looks more interesting. I decide to see if I can open it.

There is a sign on the door that reads, 'The secrets of this room will only be revealed to the right person at the right time.' Intrigued, I press the handle. The scanner pops up, and there is the familiar blue flash. It's just like it was for Vanessa.

But unlike Vanessa's experience, the scanner chirps and the door clicks open. My expression breaks into one of happiness and shock.

I shoulder my way into the room, still confused about why it worked. The second I'm in a glowing orb blinks into existence beside me. It envelops me, and everything goes black.