Chapter 9

Chapter Nine

                              A Face From my Past

                                     Louie Coulter

We all looked to Adair for direction.

“Well don’t stand about, go after them!”

Everyone took off running. Seeing as I was a fast runner without the suit and the suit just increased my speed, I was at the front of the group.  In front of us were two groups of people. One, the closest to us, consisted of about three kids and two adults. The second was just one girl, her long hair flying in the wind.  We all kept running and we were quickly closing in on the nearest group. They seemed to have that group well in hand, so I ran after the girl. I forgot all about the fact that this was the Spears’ house and the fact that we were chasing after the Spears, all I could think about was running. I ran and ran and soon I noticed a sudden lack of labored breathing and looked over my shoulder. Behind me, about 30 meters back I that saw all my S.W.O.R.D.S. - mates were inclosed in a circle around their targets. I looked ahead of me and saw that the girl in front of me was still running fast. But I was determined to catch her.

She had gotten ahead start and had gained distance when I stopped to turn around so it was an effort to catch up to her. I was almost out of breath when I caught a lucky break. The girl tripped on a root. I grabbed her wrist and immediately felt triumphant. I had singlehandedly apprehended someone who was wanted by S.W.O.R.D.S.. At that moment it didn’t matter if that person was criminal or not, I lost in a world of imagination and world where I was important and popular.

A whimper from my captive pulled my out of my fantasy world. I looked down at her and my heart skipped a beat.

I took off my helmet and stared at her with a look of disbelief.     

“Louie?!” She exclaimed in a voice that hadn’t bit.

“Calla?” I asked. I hadn’t recognized her. Her hair was long, hazel eyes were bigger, and she looked amazing.

“Louie! Louie! You have got to let me go. You must believe me. I haven't done anything wrong. And my family, my family,” She pleaded.

I stared at her and nodded with a dumbstruck look on my face. Then understanding dawned on my face. Her family. I turned around to look at the scene behind me. They had resolved their situation over there and some of them slowly starting to approach us. I turned back to Calla and looked into her eyes. I wished we had more time to gather, time to talk and catch up. I mean the girl who had haunted my thoughts for years was right in front of me and I supposed to just let her go. But on the flip side of that, if I didn’t let her go, she would be taken by S.W.O.R.D.S.  

Finally, I let go of her wrist. She hopped up quickly and limped into the brush.

“Thank you,” Calla called

Your welcome.  I thought. I wondered if I had made the right decision. If I could have said more to her. I could have helped her more. I could have done... well I could have done something.