Chapter 3

"There!" Katie says as she swishes the last bit of blush across my cheekbones. She slowly moves out of my way so I can see myself in the mirror.

"No," I say as I take in my reflection. I see me eyelids splashed with a hint of glitter in my neutral tone eyeshadow. I can see the prominent eyeliner lining the edges of my eye lids. The mascara that sweeps my lashes. The pink toned gloss on my lips. I look pretty. But it feels like I'm staring at a completely different person.

"Why not?" Katie asks hurt.

"It's not that you did a bad job," I say reassuring her, "it's just that... it's not me." Katie seems satisfied by my answer. This wouldnt be the first time she tried to make me look pretty. I just don't see the point in trying to impress, if there's no one to impress. Katie makes a hmph sound blowing her light brown bangs out of her face. She walks over to my closet and grabs her shirt.

"I'll be back," she says in a robotic voice trying to imitate the Terminator. I giggle and she walks into my bathroom. I get up from my vanity and flop down on my bed. I hear a distinctive ping, and I know it is from my laptop. I practically jump up and grab it. I quickly open wattpad to see I have a new message waiting from @onemoreauthor:

@onemoreauthor: What are you doing?

@daylagreen01: Talking to you

I can feel him smiling on the other end, but I can also feel the conversation change. All of a sudden the air around my laptop changes.

@onemoreauthor: stop talking to me.

Those four words completely shattered my world, leaving my heart in pieces on the floor.

@daylagreen01: Why??? was it something I said??

@onemoreauthor: No, I just do't like you.

I feel a tear slide down my cheek.

@daylagreen01: okay.

I hear the bathroom door open and I look over at Katie. She gasps and runs over to me. I quickly shut my laptop so she can't see.

"Whats wrong?" she asks frantic.

"It's nothing... It's just that..." I struggle for an answer, "the main character in the book I'm reading just died." I say motioning to Allegiant on my bedside table. She nods like she understands, but she doesn't. That just make me cry harder. No one understands me. I thought @onemoreauthor did. Then it hits me, I hardly even knew him. How could he understand me, if he didn't even know me? Why am I getting all torn up about someone I didn't even know? I stop crying abruptly and catch Katie off guard who was rubbing my back.

"What?" She asks. I laugh. Katie looks confused at first, then starts laughing with me. Pretty soon we're laughing so hard, that I can barely breathe. We stop laughing.

"Why were we laughing?" She asks. I shrug then start laughing again. She joins in, then stops when she see's the clock.

"Shoot!" She says.

"What?" I ask, glancing at the clock. She doesn't even have to tell me why, I already know. We are late for the party. We scramble off my bed. I rush to put on my shoes, and manage to stub my toe on the corner of my bed.

"Owwww!" I moan, holding my toe and hopping on one foot. When the pain subsides, I finish tying my Vans. Yep, super cute outfit and I wear tennis shoes. That's Dayla Green for you. I scramble to grab all of my stuff (phone, car keys) and shove it into my pockets. Yes, I have pockets. In my skirt. Shhh, Katie doesn't know. we rush out of my bedroom and down my stairs. I almost forget to lock the front door on my way out. We hop into my car, and drive down the way to Kyle's house. Or at least I think it's his house. Katie does a sharp intake of breath. I can tell why. The house is at least two stories high, with light and sound spilling from every place where the party meets the warm, night air. I find a place to park on the street. We both climb out of the car and walk across the street. I can feel the bass in the air. I can feel it through the soles of my shoes. It's as if the whole house is vibrating to the beat of the music. We walk up to the front door, and I immediately feel out of place. I can feel the people stare at me as I walk through the threshold. I try to shrink into myself, but it's unsuccessful. I hear people in the background muttering unpleasant thoughts aloud.