Smiles and Poisonous Berries

"We have a goal today!"

Everyone besides Aang stared up at Sokka with curious eyes as he paced back and forth with his hands on his hips. Katara, Aang, Toph, Teo, Haru, Suki, and The Duke were sitting around the fire while Sokka was speaking to them."Hurry it up, will you?" Toph grunted, biting her nails. The Watertribe teen frowned at the blind girl.

"That's offensive."

"Sokka!"

"Okay! Okay! I'll get on with it!" Sokka croaked. "I have been informed by our good friend, Mr. Avatar, of some shocking news!"

Teo raised an eyebrow at Sokka. "News about what?"

"News about..." Sokka paused dramatically before continuing. "Zuko."

Katara grimaced before turning to Aang. "What did he do, Aang? Tell me!"

"He didn't do anything, Katara," Aang assured. "Its what he didn't do."

They all stared at Aang, waiting for him to continue. "Smile," Aang explained. "Sifu Hotman doesn't smile."

"So?" Haru questioned. "Why should we care?"

"Because he's our friend!" Aang responded, causing Katara to snort. The young airbender looked over at Katara. "What? He is!"

"No, he's not," Katara objected. "He's of the fire nation. He's a traitor. That's all he is."

The Duke bit his lip before he spoke. "I dunno... isn't that racist?" Silence rapidly spread across the area, as everyone stared at the young boy. "I mean... I don't like the fire nation either but... I like Zuko," The Duke continued gently. "Zuko isn't like the other fire nation people."

The waterbender rolled her eyes before standing up. "Whatever... you guys can buddy up to the prince if you want. I'm going to bed," and with that, Katara walked back towards her room in the air temple.

After Katara left, Toph sighed. "Well, you tried Duke."

The young boy frowned. "Its The Duke."

Toph chuckled and nodded. "Oh right, I totally forgot."

Zuko sat in his room after dinner. He was the first one to leave to his room... like always. I bet they're talking about me, Zuko thought as he polished his duel dao swords. I bet Katara is just screaming about how much she hates me. The firebender bit his lip and sighed. Maybe she's not the only one. Zuko put the swords down and frowned. Maybe-

"Shut up, Sokka!" Zuko jumped (A/N the first time I wrote this sentence I accidentally type 'humped' omfg) slightly, startled by the hushed voices outside his room. "Next time you speak I'm going to ram a sharp rock up your ass!" Zuko covered his mouth with his hands, trying to stifle a laugh.

"Toph!" A voice, Zuko recognized as Aang, exclaimed. "That's a bad word! You shouldn't be saying that!"

"Yeah," That sounds like Haru. "How do you even know that word?"

"How do you have a mustache?"

"... I cannot defend myself."

"Lower your voices!" Teo... "It won't be much of a surprise if he hears us!"

"If anyone is talking loud, its Sokka!" Zuko could practically hear the eye roll coming from Toph.

"Come on, Toph! Sokka hasn't said a word since your threat," Suki is here too?

"That's what he's suppose to do when somebody threatens him!"

"Hey guys..." The Duke piped, only to have everyone ignore him.

"You shouldn't be threatening him in the first place!"

"Um guys..."

"Yeah, Suki!" Sokka cheered. "Show her who's boss!"

"Guys..."

"I rather not, Sokka," Suki then said.

"Guys!"

The whole group of teens stared at the young boy. "I think..." The Duke began. "I think that Zuko heard us..." He finished, pointing towards the door of Zuko's room. They looked over at the room to see the firebender standing there, amused.

"Tell me what's going on before I... you know... ram a fire ball up your ass," Zuko mimicked. A sheepish smile ran across Toph's face.

"Yeah... he heard us..."

"Come on. Tell me," The banished prince calmly said. Aang bit his lip and held up a basket that he was hiding behind his back. Zuko stared at the basket of berries, and then at Aang.

"Suprise...?" Aang then smiled embarrassingly at Zuko. The firebender shook his head.

"I can't take these."

All of their faces fell after his statement. "What?" Sokka questioned. "Why not? We spent like an hour picking those!"

"No I mean... I'm glad that you guys took the time and everything but..." Zuko gave them an eye roll. "These berries are poisonous."

They all stared at Zuko with wide eyes. "Are you serious?" Haru questioned. "How do you even know that?"

Zuko's cheeks heated up as he looked away from the group in front of him. "Its a long story..."

"Don't worry Sparky! I think I already know what happened," Toph responded with a laugh.

"So," Zuko then said, turning towards Aang. "Why?"

Aang looked up at Zuko and gave him a bright smile. "I told you that I was going to make you smile, remember?" That's what this was about? Making me smile? Yeah, because almost killing me gives me the biggest smile.

"I'm not smiling, Aang," Zuko reminded the young Avatar.

"I know but..." Aang trailed off a bit before continuing. "You're smiling on the inside! And that's all that matters, right?"

"Yeah," Zuko responded quietly. "Of course," I'm such a liar.