Chapter 5- JJ

I rushed home with the box in my car. I wanted to find answers, I needed to find answers about my parents. I mean, I already knew a lot about my mom, but my dad? Not so much. And don't get me wrong, I've always appreciated everything that my aunts and uncles have done for me, but I really needed to know my parents story and how it related to my own. It was like there was this missing puzzle piece from my entire life, and even if I do find out about my family's past, I'm sure that there always will be anyways. I just need to piece together a few things. I hurried to the apartment that Joe and I shared and quickly shut the front door behind me. I rushed into the kitchen to grab a Coors Light, then I fled into my bedroom and locked the door. I placed the box on my desk and just stared at it. What contents would it hide within it? Was I ready to discover my parent's past? I took a shaky breath and sat down in the chair in front of my desk. I tapped my fingers nervously on top of the box. Maybe there are some things I wasn't yet ready to know... but then again, I had been waiting for 20 years....I started to slowly lifting the top off of the box, when I heard someone in the next room.

"JJ!" The voice shouted. It was clearly Joe's.

"What's up Joe?" I yelled back. He started banging on my door.

"Open up, dude!" I huffed and cracked my door open a little bit, standing in the way so that he couldn't come in.

"What, Joe?" I sighed. I couldn't talk to him right now! I was about to discover my past!

"You totally ditched me at Mantle's, man!" He huffed and had his arms crossed. He did look pretty angry.

"Dang, man. I'm sorry I totally forgot that I had to drive you home!" I ran my hand through my hair. "Ummm who drove you home then?"

"Vanessa did." Joe muttered.

"So?" I hit his arm with the back of my hand. "I thought that you liked Vanessa!" Of course, I did too...

"Yeah, but she was acting all weird on the drive home... plus my sister was too. It was weird." Joe explained, as he headed towards the kitchen. "I wonder why she took so long in the bathroom?" I laughed and walked behind him to the kitchen. He turned around, "Ok, what's so funny, JJ?"

"Dude, she went to the bathroom because you couldn't take a hint for your life!" I laughed, then took a sip of my beer.

"What do you mean exactly?" Joe opened up the fridge and stuck his head in it, trying to find something reasonable to munch on, but who were we kidding? We're college guys. We don't ever have a full enough fridge.

"Joe," I looked at him. "Come on man! Vanessa was totally hoping that you were going to flirt with her at the pool today." I shook my head and sat at the countertop.

"What? No she wasn't." Joe scoffed, as he reached for an apple from the fridge. Then he walked over to lean against the kitchen counter.

"Dude, she was clearly giving you a segway into who she should go out with." I snickered. Why was I encouraging him to pursue the girl that we both like? Because he needs an ego boost. Does Joe need to know that I kissed the girl that we both like? No. Do I feel incredibly guilty for not telling him that I made out with Vanessa? Not in the slightest. He can ask her out anytime he wants to. Buuuuut he hasn't, so imma slide into first base with her anyways. Call me what you want, but I don't see him making any moves.

*DING*

Vanessa: Hey! Just wanted to let you know that you should become a masseur, among other things ;)

My face lit up.

Me: oh yeah? When should I give you that next massage? ;)

Vanessa: I'm down for whenever. 😬 Also, did you find anything interesting in that box?