Chapter Fifteen - Written in the Stars

Hello everyone! It has been so long since I last wrote and I know most of you have given up on me and this story. Being in college has distracted me and also made me lose focus on this story but I promise you all that I will be finishing very soon so those who are still with me, thank you! 

(Previously on Holding Out For A Hero........

Zayn's P.O.V.

Once the escalade pulls out of sight, I start my search. As I walk farther into the alleyway I see drops of blood that get bigger and bigger until I get to the front of the squad car where a pool of blood lays on the concrete but there is nobody in sight. 

"DAMMIT!!!" I scream as I tug on my hair. 

I can't afford to lose Ava. She knows more information than any other girl at the house does. If she tells the cops, I will be finished, and I can't let that happen. 

I whip my phone out and call Liam to order him to keep an eye out on the nearest hospitals with reports of patients with a gun shot injury. 

I don't know who got shot but with one down, the other is sure to follow. 

Ava's P.O.V. 

I sit against the brick wall in front of the cop car, shielding myself from the uncontrollable bullets. I just can't stop looking at him. The way his muscles expand and contract under his shirt when he reloads the gun, the way he wipes the sweat off his brow with panic, or the way he not so subtly looks over his shoulder every so often to check and make sure I'm okay. 

I can't believe he's standing in front of me right now, protecting me from Zayn. I had always imagined him coming to my rescue, saving me from this hell I call my life, but I never thought it would happen. He is even more beautiful than I ever thought he would be. 

Before I realize what I'm doing, I stand up; reaching out for him, wanting to touch him again to validate he's there. I am so close to touching his shoulder before something sharp hits just above the right side of my waist. I plop back down to where I was previously sitting and look down to see a small spot of red forming on my shirt. 

I clench the spot of red and jerk at the amount of pain coming from in between my stomach and hip. My adrenaline starts pumping and I try to pull the bullet from the wound. Unfortunately for me, it's too far for me to reach and the farther I go, the more pain I'm in. 

I begin to breath heavily as I realize what might happen to me. I want to get Harry's attention without worrying him but I can't form a sentence or seem to get any words to come out of my mouth. 

Harry seems to have heard my unsteady breathing because he says my name. It's hard to make out what else he's saying because all I can hear is the blood pumping in my ears.  

Thud thud. "Ava, don't cry, please ---"

 Thud, thud. "Zayn ---" 

Thud, thud. "Okay?"  

The thought of Zayn hurting Harry and finding me again forces my body to lay on the ground. I clutch my waist to try and stop the blood from pouring onto the concrete but it's no use. 

Harry has approached me and I can hear his voice again. It sounds like angels singing. He's shouting something but I can't focus hard enough to process what he's saying. 

I watch his beautiful pink lips and imagine what they would feel like on mine; what they would taste like. I look into his sparkling green eyes and wonder if our children would ever have those eyes. I try to picture what life would've been like if I hadn't gotten kidnapped. Would we have stayed friends? Would we be in a relationship right now? Would the sex be good?

I laugh at the last thought. "Of course the sex would be good!" I think to myself. "Look at him! He's stunning in every way possible".  The thought of him and I being intimate; him being so gentle and kind but also rough and assertive makes me groan. 

The thought suddenly escapes my mind when I realize I am groaning out loud but only because Harry is pushing on my wound which sends an immense amount of pain straight to my waist. I look down and watch blood pour out. I can feel my eyes drooping and my breathing start to slow. 

Suddenly, Harry's voice becomes clear. He's saying everything I'm thinking and it makes me even more sad that my life has turned out this way. What if this hadn't happened? What if we grew up together instead of being apart for 10 years? What if we were each other's soulmates?

"....there's no need to say it, I love you too and we WILL spend the rest of our lives together. Don't give me any of that bullshit "what if's", understood?" Harry rushes out. 

I try to smile but I'm not sure if I actually am. My eyes flutter closed and I feel a single tear drop fall from my eye and slide down my cheek. 

 It seems as though we'll never know what my life could've been since fate had already chosen my expiration date.  

Harry and I had been written in the stars a long time ago and we had no control over it.