Chapter 9 - Facing the Truth

Start from the beginning

She had a bit to drink and was quite at her element. Someone pushed Alden to the stage, making both dance to the music. Of course, Alden gamely made his signature gay moves, giving them all something to laugh about. 

At the end of the song, everyone was screaming for a kiss

"Kiss mo na yan mudra!"

"Istulips na, come on!"

"Kiss mo na Maine!"

They looked at each other, eyes on each other's lips, hands on each other's bodies. They communicated silently, and then Maine dipped Alden's body backwards, kissing his cheek, almost staggering from his weight. They stood up a little shakily, she winked at the men and walked out of the room. Alden found her by the veranda, sipping a cocktail.

"Hey......you ok?"

"Hmm? Yeah. Ok ako, no worries."

"You didn't have to do that you know."

"I did it to shut them up. Di naman sila titigil eh."

"I don't like them making fun of you."

She looked at him steadily till he seemed uncomfortable.

"Alden, magkaintindihan nga tayo. What is it to you if they talk about me? Pa-fall ka eh. You say you're gay and in the same breath you act protective over me. What the fuck? I ask for friendship, you say you want to keep your distance and look, you follow me here. Sakit sa ulo eh."

"Maine......kasi naman eh......"

"Kasi ano? I'd like to believe I'm so freaking irresistible, that you can't really stay away but you know, that's not true. I'm not such a prize really."

She cupped her breasts and laughed. "Not much in the boobs department, push-up bras really do the job, though. And the only remarkable feature of my face is my big mouth, which is not flattering in a face small as mine. So what's the deal, Alden? Ano ba talaga gusto mong mangyari?"

He took the drink away from her and held her hand. She was a bit flushed from her drink, leaning heavily on him.

"Sanay ka ba uminom talaga?"

"Hinde......madali ako tamaan."

"Tsk......'lika na nga, sa labas na lang tayo mag-usap."

He pulled her towards the benches near the pool area. It reminded Maine of what happened last night, and she turned to him, suddenly remembering his injured foot.

"Kumusta na paa mo?"

"Ok naman, di naman malalim yung cut. About last night....."

"Wag ka na mag-explain, you don't owe me any explanation."

"I don't want you to think that I liked what was happening because I didn't. Ginulat ako ni Kay."

"Wow. Kay ang tawag mo sa kanya? Kala ko ba hindi kayo close pero may special nickname ka for her."

"Yun din tawag ng brokers sa kanya. Look, maybe I should take you to your room."

"Baka hanapin ka ni.......Kay."

"Eh di hanapin niya. I don't really care."

"Would you care if I looked for you?"

"Maine........"

"Shit....erase......erase.....ayaw mo nga pala sa girls. Pero ok lang si Kay sayo eh. So, ako lang pala ang ayaw mo."

He just let her talk and steered her towards the elevator. She leaned against him, her soft breasts rubbing against his ribs as she walked unsteadily, with her palm flat against his chest. When they got to her room, he searched for the key in her back and opened the door to her hotel room.

"Will you be ok? Iwan na kita ha?"

"I'm not ok, pero sige. Iwan mo na ko."

"Is something bothering you, Maine? You want to talk about it?"

"No........yes...........alam mo, I just........I just wish SOMEONE would take me seriously, you know? Hindi lang kasi ako bangka sa good times, or source ng tsismis ng mga walang magawa. I'm a fucking living, breathing person who wants the same things they want."

"Sana hindi ka na kumanta kanina."

"Tapos? Sasabihin nila killjoy ako? Na mayabang, kala mo kung sino? I'm new to this company, Alden. I'm just trying to fit in. I'm trying to find new friends pero ang hirap eh. Tangina ang hirap. Kinakainggitan ako ng hindi ko alam kung bakit, tapos girls don't like me, the men want to do me. San ako lulugar?"

He pulled her for a hug, kissing her on the forehead. In the morning, she won't remember this conversation, but he would. He'd continue to look out for her and make sure she won't self-destruct.

He looked away as she changed into her pajamas and a soft white top. He helped her into bed, and just as she lay down, she looked at him and touched his mouth, tracing the outline of his lips with her finger.

"Swerte ni Kayla."

He stayed till she was fast asleep, looking angelic with her eyelashes fanning out into her cheeks, her lower lip jutting out

He stayed till she was fast asleep, looking angelic with her eyelashes fanning out into her cheeks, her lower lip jutting out. He smiled gently as she slept, feeling his heart race.  Kissing her forehead one more time, he sighed.

"I take you seriously, Maine......too seriously."