Chapter 21

"Itachi!" Sasuke yelled, watching as his elder brother slowly sank to the floor, panting as he held onto his left shoulder, blood seeping through his fingers. Sasuke ran forward, crouching down next to his brother.

"I-Itachi please, don't tell me-" Sasuke was cut off, tears slowly started to build up in his eyes.
"Sasuke, I was bit," Itachi stated, still holding onto his shoulder.
"No, no, no! This can't be happening!" Sasuke's voice broke slightly, his body shaking.

"Sasuke, I want you to do it. Please, don't let me become one of those things," Itachi said as he handed over the gun he had gotten earlier, grabbing Sasuke's hands and forcing the item into his little brother's hands. He glanced over at the zombie that had bit him, it was larger and stronger than usual.

"Big brother," Sasuke trailed off.
"You have to do it, Sasuke," Itachi said, breathing hard.

"I-I can't do it! Please, don't go big brother!" Sasuke yelled, dropping the gun as he bent forward, leaning on his hands that were balled into fists, his tears finally falling down his cheeks, dripping onto the dusty floor.

"Sasuke," Itachi's voice was shaky. The younger Uchiha looked up, eyes connecting with his older brother's. Itachi placed his bloody right hand at the back of Sasuke's head, putting their foreheads together, he smiled at his little brother.

"You must be strong, Sasuke. The others need you to be strong. I'm sorry it had to end this way, that I'm leaving you like this, but there isn't anything we can do about it now. My only regret is that I wasn't a better big brother to you and I apologize for that."

"I wasn't there for you as much as I should have been and I left you alone with our parents. I truly am sorry for all the wrong I did and I regret that I don't have more time to make up for it. But, no matter what, remember this. I love you, little brother and I will always be there for you in spirit and in your heart," Itachi smiled, closing his eyes as tears fell down his pale cheeks.

"Big brother. I forgive you," Sasuke spoke, standing up once his older brother let go of him. Sasuke stood before his big brother, shakily raising the gun, pointing it at the fallen Uchiha. Tears fell down Sasuke's cheeks as he squeezed his eyes shut.

"Tell K-Kisame, I-I'm sorry," Itachi said, his life slowly slipping away.
"I will. Goodbye, big brother," Sasuke whispered before pulling the trigger.

Zetsu lead the group up the stairs of the college, panting as they had rushed all the way here, trying to lose the horde that had followed them. Luckily, they had lost most of the zombies along the way and could now walk calmly into the building, however, most of them were still tense. Zetsu walked to the door, knocking loudly. The door was flung open, a panicked Naruto on the other side.

"Zetsu?! Did you see Itachi?!" Naruto yelled, practically dragging the man into the room.
"Itachi? No, you moron we just got here!" Zetsu yelled.
"B-but he-hey guys! You're all okay!" Naruto looked everyone over, his eyes finally resting on Lee.

"Hey, where's Sakura?" Naruto asked, his eyes slowly narrowing in worry.
"Sakura, didn't make it, Naruto," Kakashi said after a moment of hesitation, his voice saddening. It was silent as Naruto felt his heart slowly breaking. He was about to speak, but was cut off when Gaara let out a particularly loud cry of pain.

"Gaara!" Temari rushed to her younger brother's side, quickly grabbing his hand.
"T-Temari?" Gaara asked, voice hoarse as he struggled to open his beautiful eyes.

"I'm here, Gaara, you're going to be okay," she reassured, gently running her fingers through his hair. Gaara's lips twitched into a small smile, his eyes closing and slowly opening again.

"Naruto?" The redhead called, his voice strained. Naruto scrambled to the redhead's side, climbing onto the bed on Gaara's left side.

"I'm here," Naruto whispered, forcing a bright, reassuring smile onto his face. Gaara raised his left hand, grabbing the back of Naruto's head and pushed their lips together, gently kissing the blond.

Naruto's eyes widened in shock before closing, allowing himself to enjoy the intimate touch. Gaara pulled away, panting lightly, smiling his own reassuring smile as his hand fell limp, his eyes closing as he breathed his last breath.

"Gaara? Gaara?!" Naruto yelled, gently shaking the boy's body. Temari turned away, a hand over her mouth as she clenched her eyes shut, a violent sob ripping through her shaking body. Naruto kept shaking Gaara's body until he finally gave up, mouth open in a silent cry as he slowly leaned forward, resting his head on the redhead's chest.

It was silent as Naruto and Temari cried the loss of the redhead. Over the past week had Temari not only lost one brother, but both of them. She was alone. Temari quickly stood up at that thought, rushing out of the room and into the hall, Shikamaru following close behind. Iruka stepped forward, bending over the redhead's body and hugging Naruto as the blond still cried on his lover's chest.

Sasuke dropped the gun, crumbling to the ground a few feet from Itachi's body, hugging himself, rocking back and forth as he cried. Tobi came rushing in, having heard the commotion.

Sasuke sobbed loudly, crying out occasionally. Tobi let out a shuddering breath, trying to calm himself down and be strong for Sasuke. Walking forward, Tobi crouched down behind the boy, wrapping his arms around Sasuke's shaking body and hugging him from behind.

Sasuke was grateful for the comfort, though his pained cries kept him from thanking the other Uchiha. His crying went on for minutes before it died down, his breathing hard and shallow.

"T-Thank you, Tobi. W-We should go back, before it's too late," Sasuke said, slowly sitting back up.
"Is Sasuke going to be okay?" Tobi asked.

"Yeah, let's go," Sasuke answered after taking a deep breath. The two stood up, grabbing the medicine and gun before quickly leaving with one last glance back. They managed to sneak back into the college building, rushing up the stairs.

Once in the hall, they found Temari and Shikamaru standing a few feet away from the door to the room they were staying in. The blond girl was clutching Shikamaru's shirt as she cried into his chest, his arms wrapped tightly around her form.

"What happened?" Sasuke asked.
"G-Gaara h-he-" Temari tried to answer, but couldn't force her words out. Shikamaru's eyes met with Sasuke's and he shook his head. Sasuke felt his heart drop as he turned away and rushed into the room, Tobi following close behind.

Sasuke's eyes widened as he stood by the doorway, watching as his best friend cried, fighting against Iruka and Kakashi who were trying to move him away from the body. Tobi gasped though he was quickly trapped in a hug from Zetsu who continuously asked if he was hurt.

"Where's Itachi?" Kisame asked, eyes shining with worry. Sasuke turned to the large man, his facial features saddening along with his eyes.

"Itachi he- he didn't make it, he wanted me to tell you that he was sorry," Sasuke spoke, watching as Kisame took in a deep shaking breath, turning his head away, eyes clenched shut. Naruto, who had heard the news, started crying harder.

Sasuke sighed, briefly placing a hand on his brother's boyfriend's shoulder, squeezing in an attempt to be comforting. Kisame nodded his thanks, turning and leaving the room. Sasuke walked over to his best friend, nodding at Kakashi and Iruka as they moved away, making room for him. Sasuke sat on the bed, eyes shining with tears as he looked at Naruto.

The blond looked up, blue eyes shining with a number of emotions. Sadness, guilt, sympathy. His eyes and cheeks were red, warm tears slipping freely. There was no sign of the usual happiness that somehow always shined in his bright eyes.

His face held no bright, reassuring smile, his eyes were dull and lifeless. This world they were living in now, was not only killing their friends and family, but slowly killing them as well. From the inside out and there was nothing they could do.

Sasuke grabbed Naruto, hugging his friend tightly as the boy cried, his own tears falling as well. He had to be strong. If not for himself, then for Naruto.