jj follows him like a lost puppy; fists clenched and eyes frantically taking in the new environment. simon can tell he's nervous from his posture and he decides to pass him a reassuring smile before entering the kitchen, where he can hear someone talking.

"simon!" his mother leaps forward at the sight of her son and engulfs him in a hug who in returns laughs. his mother has this specific aroma around her and simon tightens his grip on her, smiling into her hair.

"hey mum." he sighs out in content, before releasing her and glancing towards his brother standing on the other side of the kitchen. "hey nick."

nick comes forward to hug him and ruffle his younger brother's hair like he always did causing simon to shove him backwards jokingly.

"oh and who might you be?" suddenly everyone's attention is on the anxious looking jj standing in the entrance of the kitchen. simon would've laughed at how scared he look if it was another situation.

"mum, this is jj. jj this is mum." he introduces the two and notices his mum reaching forward. he expects a hand shake but when his mum pulls jj into a hug, something in chest warms up and a soft smile graces his face.

"hello mrs.minter." jj says once he is released from the hug and then looks towards nick who nods in acknowledgement.

"i would say i've heard lots about you but this kid here never tells me anything." the middle-aged woman comments causing the latter boy to laugh.

"if i'm being honest, same goes for you." jj admits causing mrs.minter to narrow her eyes at her sheepish looking son.

"simon! how dare you not tell your boyfriend about the most amazing person in your life?" she asks, the word boyfriend casually rolling off her tongue. the cerulean eyed boy notices jj's fists unclench and shoulders relax and he smiles.

everything will be just alright. 

______

"oh has this little shit finally decided to pay his old folks a visit?" the gruff voice of mr.minter fills the dining room as he enters causing everyone's attention to divert to him.

"hello-"

"keep sitting son." he interrupts simon as he takes a seat on the table too and passes a smile to him. the tall boy realises how aged his father looks since the last time he saw him. which wasn't very long ago, because he did meet him when he had asked for the money. "do you remember what you promised when we last met?"

"oh when was that?" his mother cuts in, eyebrows raised.

"a few weeks ago, uh y-yeah." simon scratches the back of his neck and sheepishly smiles at his father.

"well, what did you promise me?" the older man presses, his similar cerulean eyes glinting.

"that i would visit more." he admits, looking down at his hands. the whole conversation reminds him of his childhood when he would do something wrong and then be confronted about it.

"and who might this be?" his father finally seems to notice the smiling dark skinned boy sitting beside his son and raises his eyebrows.