Going Solo Part 1

They always get asked, in interviews, if they'd ever do any work without the other. The answer is always the same: no, we're very happy, we love working together and that's not likely to change anytime soon.

And it's true – they really do have no plans to ever split up, certainly not full time, and not even on their shows for more than a couple of minutes at a time when it's required of them, like it was on I'm A Celebrity when the camps were separated into two teams. Otherwise, on live TV, they've never done anything without being next to one another, and they had assumed it would never happen. In twenty years, they've been lucky enough never to have to deal with that problem – generally, they keep in good health, and any family illness or upset has never yet timed itself to clash with one of their live shows, and even if it did, they've always said they'd postpone if it was at all possible. Their success is built on their duo, and they've both said it before: without one another, presenting wouldn't be fun, and they don't want to do anything on telly that isn't fun.

They've always hoped that their good luck in not having to deal with presenting without the other would continue – but, because they're realistic too, they know that situation might occur one day. Unfortunately for them, on the week of the Britain's Got Talent semi-finals in 2018, that streak of luck looks to be broken.

The preparation and rehearsals on Monday afternoon are a little bit more tense than usual. After last year, the producers are really, really keen to ensure that there are no technical issues to mar the show, but already there is a bit of an issue with the aircon so that the studio isn't as cool as Ant and Dec like it to be.

"It's bloody hot," Ant notes, fanning himself with the script as they watch a family dance troupe sweat through their moves.

"Just wait till we've got suits on," Dec agrees, before coughing suddenly and quite forcefully.

"You all right?" Ant asks, frowning a bit at the suddenness.

"Yeah, I think so. Just dry, innit? The air. Left me water somewhere ..."

"Here." Ant offers his own water bottle up.

"Ta. Always got my back, haven't you?"

"Always, Declan," Ant replies with a grin. "Come on, son, let's go through the rest of these links and see if there's any more tweaking to be done before the technical rehearsal."

They continue through the next couple of hours, with the aircon occasionally kicking in to provide a bit of relief from the glare of the lights but not functioning consistently. Ant is sweaty, hating the heat, and Dec isn't much better though he tends to run colder than Ant so can usually deal with studio temperatures better. He is, though, starting to cough a bit more regularly. Not a terrifying amount, but forcefully and frequently enough that Ant is a little concerned.

"The air's not that dry, is it?" he asks when Dec coughs again.

"I just feel like there's something in my throat I can't clear properly. It's not that bad. I might have a lozenge or something before we head on tonight."

"Think you're coming down with something?" Ant asks, then reaches over to feel Dec's forehead before he can even answer.

"Protective," Dec teases, which is a good sign, but he also leans into Ant's touch, which worries him a bit. "I dunno. I don't feel bad otherwise, really. No more than you, probably, in this heat." He smiles.

"You feel a bit warm, but ..."

"But seeing as it's a bit tropical in here, that's not really surprising," Dec finishes for him. "Don't worry. I'm fine."