Chapter 2

I was on the floor in my room. Turning my head, I noticed the air mattress in the corner partially deflated from the tiny hole I had yet to find.

The concrete floor beneath me chilled my skin and I shivered slightly.

It was dark. So dark. It was always dark for me.

Dark meant comfort.

The light meant SHE would come.

I was left alone when it was dark.

There were candles surrounding me. Making a perfect circle. All different sizes and colors. Wax dripping down the sides and pooling.

It ached.

It wouldn't stop.

The drowning. The edge of the black pit called sanity. I could feel myself teetering on it.

Who cares.

I don't know how long I've been on the floor.

Light creeped around the corners of the sheet covering the single window in the room.

It was Sunday.

Oh god. It was Sunday.

Why does it have to be Sunday?

Fear slid into my gut, latching on like the parasite it was. I couldn't move.

Shit, the candles.

If she sees the candles I'm done for.

My breath slid out it audible huffs.

Quickly I scurried around on the floor, blowing out the candles and shoving them in the closet.

Grabbing the Lysol and spraying the air, hoping to remove the scent.

Shit, the smell is still there.

I grabbed a single candle, ran over to the air mattress and placed it on the floor nearby. Lighting it again, waiting for some of the wax to melt before I blew it out.

I threw my small body onto the mattress and hid under the single comforter.

My breath was still coming quickly and another feeling settled in my belly.

Panic.

I harshly pressed my nails into the scabbed over skin on one of my wrists, shutting my eyes and pressing my face into the crook of my arm.

*BANG* *BANG* *BANG*

Oh god.

I clutched the comforter closer. Curling into the fetal position.

"GET THE HELL UP YOU BRAT"

I can't... I can't. Not like this. She will notice.

"OPEN THE DOOR"

*BANG* *BANG* *BANG*

The door knob wiggled slightly.

Quickly I scurried off the mattress, throwing on a long sleeved black shirt to cover my arm.

Rushing to the door, attempting to calm myself by taking deep breaths and blinking quickly to keep the tears from spilling over I hesitantly opened the door.