Chapter 25- The Trial

Start from the beginning

Innocent until proven guilty. I know my Karter was most definitely not guilty.

"I love you too" he replied, giving a weak smile. The last 48 hours felt so surreal, wasn't it just yesterday Karter was accused and in less than two hours, it would be over. I didn’t want to think about what this could mean. This morning, the realisation weighed heavily on Karter's mind I could see it through the constant agitation that was battling with him all the morning and the ride here and even still worry creased his entire face. The queen, Old queen and I sat side by side. The queen told me to raise my head high and stay strong and it hadn’t been hard, I had kept a stern face all morning until I saw who was called to the stand next. That's when it all faded every ounce of hope sucked out of me.

"So you’re saying Mr payton that you heard our prince having an argument?" Malcolm Sty pointed to Karter.

"Yes sir." He was so confident in his verdict; it was so hard to tell he was even lying.

"What was the argument about?" He pretended to give himself a moment before he answered.

"I don't really know sir, I went to see grandma that night, and I could hear the shouting, I rushed out of my car towards the house. The front door was locked so I took the back but I vaguely remember him pushing grandma and she staggered. He didn't even turn back to check on her. But I saw everything!"

 “Are you sure it was the Prince you saw? Look at him and look again.” He nodded. Malcolm Sty grilled him further trying to catch him out, but he was solid in everything he answered.

“im sure, he killed my grandma, I didn’t want to believe he was capable of it but Karter had been… he had been snorting a bit of cocaine prior that evening. We had been planning on going to see grandma together. But I told him not to do it but he ignored me, even punching me in the face. I got angry and left. After I cooled off, I decided to make my way over to grandma’s house but when I got there. I saw him push her; I wouldn’t lie against you Karter.” He looked at Karter almost sincerely and I almost fell into the trap of doubt if I didn’t know Karter never did drugs. “But I can’t do this, Grandma deserves justice!” Karter was seething from where he was sitting. The House of Commons murmured some shaking their heads. I could tell he was about to jump over the brown gate and strangle the living day light out of him. He used the whole cocaine scandal to further stab the knife into the wound and dig him a deeper grave. I shook my head in frustration- he was smart with what he was doing and all made me think, was this his plan all along? Everything seems rehearsed and thought out. I know Karter must be thinking how could he? At least if it was true I wouldn't be as angry but knowing it was all lies made me want to beat him black and blue.

"Thanks Mr payton." He didn't even look at us; he climbed down the podium sitting beside the devil in disguise. She was dressed in all black with black shades, holding scrunched up tissues and sniffing once every few seconds.  He had been the last person to be called and all evidence seems pretty solid right now. It was impossible not to lose hope at this moment but I had to stay strong for my husband. Court was dismissed for the hour while they reached their decision and as I watched him leave I ran after him pulling at him arm.

The funny thing was I actually wanted to believed it wasn't him, standing there testifying against his cousin watching the lies escape his mouth like a family of bees escaping a hornet. But the more I looked the more I wanted to say it can't be but I had to accept the reality of this utter treachery.

"Adam why? Why?"

"Get off me!" I wanted him to look me in the eye at least to see if he was forced into it or he willingly chose to betray his own family. His grin was evil, snatching his arm off.