Chapter 9 : Conflict(ed)

Start from the beginning

"Vita, do you have any idea what object they were looking for?" Emmaline asked a few minutes later

"No," I answered back, hiding the bitterness I felt. It seems that I just don't know anything and I despised the lack of knowledge.

"Have you talked to your parents recently?"

"No."

Emmaline turned her entire body towards me and eyed me carefully. "I don't mean to pry, but I noticed that you're wearing a ring." She lifted her left hand and pointed at her ring finger.

Emmaline came closer, took my hand abruptly and gazed at the ring I was wearing. "Woah. So pretty. You can see some kind of engravings on it if you look close enough."

Intrigued by what she was saying, I looked closer at my own hand. Like she said, there were thin lines and swirls all around the ring, something I didn't notice before. They were stunning.

"You're married?" Emmaline's deep ocean blue eyes stared into mine, bright with excitement and curiosity.

"I am." I blinked at her, confused at her sudden interest.

"Who? Wait, could I possibly know this person? Looks? Personality?" Her questions didn't stop there. They continued to flow out of her mouth and I just sat there stunned.

Maybe I should have told her I wasn't married instead.

"Vita?" Emmaline paused as she caught her breath and looked expectantly at me like I had memorized all her questions and was about to answer them.

"Why-"

"Am I so curious? Well, come on, who wouldn't be?"

When I simply stared at her and couldn't answer a single question, her smile literally turned upside down and she widened her eyes, looking sad.

"Feed this single lady some information, Vita. Give me hope I'll find someone someday in the future."

"What?"

"I have no love life. Might as well live through you."

"I... don't have much to say."

"Aw, don't say that. What do you like the most about him? Or her. Tell me. I don't judge." Her innocent smile shone brightly on her features.

I shrugged my shoulders and Emmaline gave up. She walked back to her chair and slumped down.

"Fine. I'll just ask Alexander." Emmaline huffed.

"What makes you think he knows?"

She whipped her head in my direction. "I thought because you said you've known each other for... like... 26 years..." Emmaline gasped. "He doesn't know?"

"I didn't say that."

She narrowed her eyes at me. "You're playing around with me. Mean."

I bit the inside of my cheek to stop myself from smiling and turned around to get back to work. Just then, Alexander and Victor stepped in. Both their eyes zoomed in on Emmaline's, probably unhappy, expression.

"Did something happen?" Victor looked at Emmaline and I oddly.

I could feel Alexander's stare but I didn't bother looking over at him.

"It's nothing." Emmaline sounded deflated as I heard her tapping her keyboard once more, going back to work.

Alexander went to sit down and Victor stood there for a few more seconds before he went to his desk.

"Alexander, do you perhaps know who Vita's married to?"

Alexander glanced at Emmaline before giving her a nod.