VII

I inhaled, then exhaled; never had I felt this lightweight and relieved.

Even after seeing Owen alive and understanding his purpose for coming back, my chest was finally free from the pressure of fear. I couldn't be hallucinating now, the water felt too real. As I breathed in the water, the world seemed sharper, like I had been blind all my life, but now I finally had the glasses to see.

All I had to do was breathe, and I could see clearly.

Owen was grinning from ear to ear as he watched my face go from panic to joy. I was still alive, and he was too. This could only mean one thing: he was right. His world did exist, and it always did.

I wanted to squeal in relief. Already, they journey to immortality was astounding. If I could breathe underwater by merely believing, what would being part of their society grant?

Still, while I felt bliss, there was an underlying worry that this wasn't the only thing required of me. It couldn't be this easy.

Owen nodded his head toward the interior of the archway, a tunnel of sorts. I peered in as he effortlessly swam through. The darkness welcomed him, then swallowed his figure whole. With him absent from my side, I unwillingly became nervous. Sure, I was breathing now, but what was in the tunnel?

I had to trust Owen. I already followed him this far, and there wasn't really a way for me to make it home safely on my own. I sighed, causing bubbles to escape my mouth. Then, I pushed my way through the water after him.

My fingers dragged along the walls, clumsily feeling out the path I needed to take. The water dropped a few degrees, causing me to shiver. In certain places, the rock would angle upward or downward, which resulted in me hitting my knees and head. Quickly, I decided I was completely over the idea of traveling through this tunnel.

Even after a few moments within entering, the dark was overbearing. I could hardly see my hand in front of me, let alone make out the path. Owen was already long gone, probably out of the tunnel minutes before I was.

The water became lighter as I neared the end of the obstacle. This small detail only made me more eager to finish the course.

With one final shove, I was floating in the open ocean. I looked down and saw that there was no floor in sight, only endless water. The rock wall, which held the tunnel's exit, extended as far down and up as I could see. There was a hand print in the wall similar to the one at the entrance.

Owen wasn't in sight. I spun around once again before finally directing my eyes upward. While I didn't expect the water to be full of light, I was surprised by how dark it was. When I directed my gaze toward the direction of the surface, I saw why.

Hovering just above my head, were roots. Huge tree roots that were stationary in the still water. I glanced out, and saw how far they extended, like a ceiling. They wove together, creating a tightly knit structure. Hardly any sunlight was peeking through their bond, which was driven all the way into the rock.

Where in the world was Owen? How was I suppose to know what to do?

I couldn't go down, there was nothing for me there. Up and through the roots? That seemed to be the only way. I wasn't sure if I could break through the wood, though. Who knew how far below sea level I was. At least I couldn't drown.

I reached up closely, somewhat afraid. What was I going to do?

The wood was rough and smooth all at once. As soon as my fingertips brushed the surface of it, the roots began moving. My eyes grew wide as an opening was made for my hand. I yawned my hand back and the roots immediately filled the gap. It seemed as if their only goal was to be whole; if part of them wasn't there, then something was. No empty holes were allowed in the structure.