Chapter Forty-Three

Start from the beginning

"What've you been up to, Ellie?" asked Robin.

"Well, you know, planning for a wedding is hard," she said. "But it's nearly over. Then we get some more privacy again."

"Are you excited?"

"Nervous," she said with a small smile. "But I'm excited to finally marry him."

"How's trying for a baby going?" asked Ryan, standing up and climbing into a different bath herself.

"Still trying. It's... harder than we thought."

"Have you been to a doctor?"

"Yeah, we've got ovulation charts and all, but it's just- I dunno, it's not working."

"It's hard, huh?" asked Cassie.

"Very much so."

Robin stopped paying attention, once more playing with the rose petals in her water. She was tired. She was to be one of the bridesmaids tomorrow. Red was the flowergirl, and Spencer was the ring bearer. Phoenix was a groomsman, along with Adrian, the best man, and Shaun, Drew's older brother. Their dresses were ombre, deep blues and purples that looked majestic and light. 

She closed her eyes. She didn't want to listen anymore.

<><><><><><><><>

Once Adrian and Shaun had gone home after the movie and pizza night that Drew had had for his buck's night, he heard the front door open and close. "Ellie?"

"Yeah, it's me," she said, as an excited bark rang out. "Hey, boy!"

"How was the spa?"

"It was good. I got some exfolaiting in, so my skin looks good." She walked in, and Drew let out a low whistle. Her skin didn't just look good- she was glowing, her skin a gentle pearly shimmer, and looked soft and supple. She sat down, and he pulled her closer, running his hands over her legs and arms.

"You feel good, too," he breathed, kissing her ear. "And you smell amazing."

"Drew," she said, trying to sound serious but only laughing quietly as he kissed her jaw. "Beanbag, come on."

"Your skin tastes sweet," he said, kissing her again. "You should have spa baths more often, you're irresistible to me."

"I'm always irresistible to you," she said, and he chuckled, kissing her more passionately.

"What can I say?" he said. "Ready to finally be Mrs Greene tomorrow?"

"Yeah. I'm... nervous. I'm nervous for you to see my dress."

"You could wear a paper bag and you'd still be perfect for me." He kissed her again. "I love you."

"Let's get some rest. I don't want to show up tomorrow looking like death."

"Alright, if you insist," he said, kissing her once, then lifting her.

"Drew!"

"My darling fiancee needs to be completely rested for tomorrow- no walking allowed," he said, and she laughed, hitting his back. Diglett followed them, settling onto his little pillow at the foot of the bed while Drew set Elle back down. She pulled on an oversized t-shirt to sleep, and Drew pulled on his pyjamas.

Just like that, they fell asleep, too tired to even think about the day to come.

<><><><><><><><>

Elle looked at herself in the mirror. The dress, a lace overlay on the torso with the flowing tulle skirt and gulped. She was nervous- no, she was terrified. What if Drew, no matter how much he said he would, didn't like the dress? What would she even do?