Chapter 29: 5.13.1 The Song Remains the Same

Comincia dall'inizio

"You're just gonna have to trust me, okay?"

"I've been trusting you all day," Mary snapped.

"It's kind of hard to believe," Dean reasoned.

"All right, then. I'm walking out the door." Mary began to turn away when Dean blurted out three words that completely flipped Mary's world upside down:

"I'm your son."

Mary stopped and turned back to Dean, raising her eyebrows. "What?" she asked, unsure if she had heard him right.

"I'm your son," Dean repeated. Dean chuckled softly, shaking his head. "Sorry. I don't know how else to say it. We're from the year two-thousand-and-ten. An angel zapped us back here. Not the one that attacked you—friendlier." Cassandra stepped forward, taking Dean's side.

"He's not lying." Mary looked over to the blonde. "It's true. I helped the angel and let him channel my power. My name is Cassandra Moore and I'm a Nephilim. My father is the Archangel Michael," she explained. Mary's lips parted slightly as she glanced between the two, shaking her head.

"You can't expect me to believe that," she said slowly.

"Our names are Dean and Sam Winchester. We're named after your parents." Dean licked his lips. "When I would get sick, you would make me tomato-rice soup, because that's what your mom made you. And instead of a lullaby, you would sing 'Hey Jude', 'cause that's your favorite Beatles song," Dean told her. Mary's eyes started to tear up and she shook her head, refusing to accept Dean's and Cassandra's words. She couldn't accept it only because of the fact that he and Sam were Hunters.

"I...I don't believe it. No," Mary denied, her voice cracking.

"I'm sorry, but it's true."

"I raised my kids to be hunters?" Mary asked, her voice coated in disgust. Cassandra's gaze dropped to the floor and her heart broke for the woman. She hated this life and to learn that her own kids had become part of it...Cassandra couldn't even imagine how she felt.

"No. No, you didn't."

"How could I do that to you?"

"You didn't do it," Dean said. "Because you're dead." Mary's blue eyes widened and she recoiled at his words. Dean glanced over to Cassandra before looking back to his mother.

"What? What happened?" Mary questioned breathlessly.

"Yellow-eyed demon," Dean said simply. "He killed you, and—" The Hunter glanced towards the doorway, lowering his voice slightly. "John became a hunter to get revenge. He raised us in this life. Listen to me." Mary looked up and Dean hesitated slightly before continuing. "A demon comes into Sam's nursery exactly six months after he's born. November second, nineteen eighty-three. Remember that date. And whatever you do, do not go in there. You wake up that morning and you take Sam and you run."

"That's not good enough, Dean." Dean, Mary, and Cassandra all turned to see Sam standing in the doorway. "Wherever she goes, the demon's gonna find her. Find me."

"Well, then what?" Cassandra questioned. Sam sighed, shaking his head.

"She can leave Dad. That's what." Dean's eyebrows rose in shock and he turned to look at Cassandra whose lips parted slightly in disbelief. He directed his attention to Mary. "You got to leave John."

"What?" Mary asked.

"When this is all over, walk away, and never look back."

"So we're never born," Dean said in realization. He looked to Mary. "He's right." Mary shook her head, a single tear rolling down her cheek.