Conflicted

Conflicted

Eventually, Mary's tears ran out. She gently pulled herself from Blue Eyes' embrace and sat back, staring up at him with moist eyes and a forlorn expression.

"I ... I can't go back," she told Blue Eyes haltingly. "I ... just can't—"

Blue eyes raised his hands to sign.

"Mary, Father won't—" he started to object.

Mary cut him off with a low snarl.

"It doesn't matter what Caesar will or won't do!" she exclaimed.

Taking a deep shuddering breath, the young female tried to get better control of herself and her words.

"It matters what I might or might not do, blue Eyes," she went on more quietly.

I don't know how I can face him again. I don't know that I won't do something stupid ... or say something stupid ... and then Caesar really will take all choice out of my hands. I ... I don't expect you to understand."

Ash would have understood, Mary thought. She bit savagely at her lower lip to hold back the tears.

"I ... I do ... understand ... I think."

Mary gaped at him. Blue Eyes was speaking out loud now?

"What ... when did you start to ..."

Caesar's son shrugged and tried to look as if it were nothing.

"It ... doesn't matter," he went on, speaking haltingly but very clearly.

"Alright ... if you won't come and talk with Father ... come ... and talk to Maurice and Rocket then?"

"Maurice will tell me to come back," Mary protested, growing visibly agitated all over again.

Blue Eyes shook his head.

"Maurice ... never tells us what to do ... He just ... offers good advice. Neither of them will ... will force you back against your will."

Mary glared at Blue Eyes, obviously unconvinced.

"Please, Mary," Blue Eyes said softly.

Her resolve began to crumble.

In the end, Mary had no idea how she let him talk her in to coming with him. But

she soon found herself next to Caesar's son, making their way back through the human buildings towards ... she didn't know exactly where he was taking her, and silently berated herself for not thinking to ask. What if he were taking her straight back to meet with Caesar?

No, Mary decided. Blue Eyes would not do that to her. But why did he not just let her go then? She still was not sure that meeting with Maurice would be much better. And how could she face Rocket, knowing what her Father had done to Rocket's son, to her dear Ash?