Chapter 23: The Adventures of the Brave Heart

Start from the beginning

Erasmus handed me the plate and I could almost feel my stomach growling at the sight of grilled meat and fish. They seemed to be generous this time for instead of bread, they put rice on my plate. I hungrily put it on my lap and started eating. There would be no such thing as table manners for a starving lady.

"I'm sure Roger would be grateful enough to see you. You've probably won his heart."

I didn't answer. I just continued eating my food because I felt drained and weak.

"The Skull is extremely worried about you. He ordered me to stay here and provide everything you need until you're already feeling better – not that I wouldn't want to do it because I'd gladly volunteer to help you."

The food stuck in my throat the moment I heard Threy's alias. It was like a lump that made it hard for me to swallow the meat I took. I carefully put the spoon and fork back on the plate and grabbed the glass of water resting at the corner of my table. I drank it like I had been deprived of water for few days.

"I don't believe it. It's hard to believe it now," I said in a serious tone. The food suddenly became lame and tasteless for me.

"He left the helm and jumped to the water the moment he saw you fell. He risked the Obsidian just to save you. I'm sure he's having a serious talk with the Captain right now."

I remembered seeing him behind the helm. The look of dislike was evident in his eyes when he saw me out in the rain. I thought he was completely annoyed at me. As a matter of fact, I wasn't even expecting that he would save me from the deadly sea – but he did.

"Do you think so?" I asked sheepishly.

"Yes," he immediately answered.

"But I didn't like the way he treated Roger like was just a non-important thing he could dispose of whenever he likes. I don't like him looking at life like that. I don't like him that way." I remembered the lifeless body we left at the lake. I imagined Roger being dead.

"He's the Skull, Primrose. I don't know who the Skull was before he became the Skull but the way you believe in him makes me want to believe, too. Maybe it wasn't the Skull who saved you. Maybe it was the person you met years ago."

I stared at him and saw the sincerity in his eyes. It was like darkness all over my heart and then suddenly, a single candle lit up and the light flooded around the place. I felt hope in what I believe. Maybe the person I longed to be with was caged inside the Skull and all I had to do was to try and free him. Maybe, I shouldn't give up on him.

And with that, I suddenly grabbed Erasmus and hugged him tightly. I could feel him stiffen in my arms. I laughed a little at his reaction and let him go. He pouted his lips when I ruffled his already messy hair as if it could still get any messier.

"Ugh. Why do you have to do that?" But even though he seemed to be a little bit annoyed, he still managed to look adorable.