A Month To Live (Epilogue)

Start from the beginning

I tied off the balloon in my hands and whacked it towards his head.

'Done now,' I confirmed as it bounced off him and floated down to the ground

‘So adult,’ he snorted, retrieving the balloon and tying it to a piece of string with the others.

‘I’ll go get everyone from inside,’ I added, leaving Remi and Kyle on the decking and approaching the back door.

‘Oh, God,’ I groaned, entering the kitchen and catching sight of a mess. ‘What does the cake look like?’ I asked warily.

'Not too bad,' George said, clapping his hands together loudly.

‘Huh,' I mused looking down at the icing. 'You're right. Not too shabby. Though I suspect my other half had a lot to do with it,' I added, shooting Bradley a questioning look.

‘I baked and made icing - they decorated,' he replied with a smile.

I dipped my finger in the bowl of icing to try it. Pretty delicious I had to admit. I couldn't resist sweet things though.

'Licking icing off your finger in front of me,' Bradley said, leaning on the counter beside me. 'Quite enticing, you know.'

'I can't respond to that in the presence of other people,' I said, drawing a slow smile from him as he looked down at me. He draped his arm around my shoulders and tucked me to his side.

'Tell me later then.'

I slapped his stomach with the back of my hand and he laughed

‘No abuse on someone’s birthday,’ he complained, tugging on my hair.

‘It’s not your birthday,’ I replied, rolling my eyes.

‘But when it is you'll actually have to be nice to me,' he laughed. 'Can you believe I’ll be twenty? I'll soon be leaving you kids behind!’

‘Except me,’ I said.

‘Except you,’ he agreed, pulling me around and kissing me quickly. 'Maybe I should open a bakery,' he mused. 'My icing is pretty delicious.'

'Bradley's Bakery. Nice alliteration to it, I suppose,' I laughed.

'Coming through,' George said as he passed with the cake platter on his hands.

'He's making me anxious just watching him,' I said as he took cake out into the garden with Tara close behind him wearing a grimace. George was a little clumsy much like myself.

'Come on,' Bradley smirked, pulling me out into the garden with him.

A few more people turned up, including Lisa, Davy, Liam and Hayley, plus a few guys from the football team who I didn't remember the names of and a few girls I also had no recollection of.

Eventually the devil himself turned up but he managed to slip in unnoticed and so we didn't get to shout ‘surprise’ or whatever it is we would have shouted.

‘I don’t like making big entrances,’ he laughed as I reprimanded him afterwards.

‘You were supposed to make a big entrance! It's a surprise party!' I exclaimed.

‘Come on, save me your verbal abuse just this once,' he snorted. 'What present did you get me?'

‘No idea,' I shrugged. 'I gave Bradley some money and made him decide.'

‘Well where is that douche? I want my present,' Tommy complained.

'Don't call him a douche,' I scowled. 'And stop being so demanding.'