Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Maya's POV

It wasn't the mile that was hard, it was the company. First of all, whose stupid idea was it in the first place to invite Sam to run with us? Maya wondered.

Well hope he or whoever is happy now, because Hazel and Karin were peactically dying behind Maya.

Maya herself was winded and itched for a break.

"Sam! Wait....up...." Maya called. "You know its...useless...to....try...on the ...stupid...friggin.....mile..."

Sam smirked and said, "Who said I was trying?"

Maya scowled.

Sometimes she really hated that guy.

Minutes later Maya and Sam reached the finish line.

Of course, people were aleeady there. Carter Holt, for one, who was already talking up a storm with Sam. Then, Maya noticed two boys a few feet away from Carter.

"Hell no, I obviously beat you!" cried one boy. The other one laughed. "Ha, in your dreams, Robert."

The twins, Oliver and Robert Frost had short cut auburn hair and electric blue eyes. Robert had glasses. Oliver was every girls dream guy. See the difference.

Sad it was, because Maya knew them, so when she approched Robert and his brother, one of them cried, "Yo Maya, who do you think got a better time on the mile? Me or Oliver?"

"You tied." Maya said simply. One thing about Frost brothers is that they tie at everything. Academics, sports and even hot dog eating contests. (Long story).

So after Maya said those two faithful words, the twins groaned and fell into an even bigger boil.

Maya took this chance and slipped away.

After she left the twins, Maya went to join Hazy and Karin who seemed to be in an argument.

"C'mon Karin. Go ask him!" Hazy urged. Confused, Maya walked up to them.

"Ask who what?"

Karin's face turned even redder, if that was possible.

"No one. Nothing"

Hazy snorted. "Seriously, he couldnt keep his eyes off you the last time I checked. Just ask him! It's not that hard"

"Who? Ask him what?" Maya said, getting frustrated with her friends lack of attention towards her.

Hazy grinned at Maya, her brown hair flashing in the sunlight.

"Sam. Karins got a crush on him, don't you Karin?" Hazy slyly nudged her friends ribs.

Karin groaned. " No, I don't!"

Maya looked around the courtyard, spotted Sam besides Carter, and a wicked idea popped into her head.

Grinnig from ear to ear, she walked up to Sam and Carter. Taking her friend by the hand, she dragged him over to Karin.

"Oi! What do you think you're doing?" Sam yelped.

Ignoring him, Maya continued to drag him to Karin and Hazy, who were now standing by the schools old water fountain.

The light above the four children flickered ominously.

Pulling Sam to a stop in front of Karin, Maya grinned, satisfied.

"Now. Two have some unsettled buisness to attend to"

A voice Maya never knew was behind her spoke up.

"Uh, what buisness?"

Maya whipped around to find herself looking straight into the deep green eyes of Carter Holt.

Carter must have followed her while she dragged Sam to Karin.

Unable to find her own voice, Hazy came to Maya's rescue.

Giving her friend an odd look, she turned to Carter.

"You see, our friend Karin here has developed an interest in your friend, Sam" Hazy smirked as she motioned towards the flushed faces of Sam and Karin.

"No, I havn't!" they both yelled in unison.

Suddenly, the lights above the five children went out.

Maya gasped. "Whats going on?"

Sam scowled besides her.

"Probably the dang light bulbs. Man our school is old!"

Just after he finished his sentence, the water fountain buzzed eerily.

"Uh, I'm pretty sure that wasn't the schools problem.." Hazy said nervously.

Suddenly, black jolts of electricity ripped the fountain apart, spraying water everywhere.

The debris of the fountain flew in every direction, causing the five children to scatter and yell in unison.

The last thing Maya remembered was being enveloped in strong arms and someone screaming, "Duck!"