Chapter Thirteen

Chapter 13

Carter's POV

As if his day couldn't get any more confusing, Hazel Grasssman had to turn up in the middle of nowhere, wearing a white satin dress, and claim that it was 1863.

His head was spinning with ideas. Time travel was impossible- At least that's what society thought. What other explanation was there, besides the fact that they were just dreaming? It felt to real, however. He had pinched himself multiple times to prove that.

Though, Carter had to admit, he was taking in the information much better than Maya.

"W-Wait. Ok. Uh-ok, hold on. Oh, my god--"

"Breathe, Maya," Hazel gently rubbed her friends back as she continued to splutter and deny what had happened earlier.

"Uh, If there was a paper bag for you to breathe in, I would offer one but..." Carter grinned but immediately regretted it when Hazel shot him one of her signature death glares.

Maya looked like she was going to be sick. "I-I need to sit..." she looked around wildly and settled herself shakily on a nearby rock.

"This is impossible. Time travel is impossible. This-this can't be happening. I-I'm dreaming. Yeah. That's it. I'm dreaming."

Hazel sat carefully next to Maya who currently looked positive that what was happening was a dream.

"Ok. If you were dreaming--"

"Which I am."

"Of course," Hazel continued slowly. "Then... why would you be dreaming about things in 1863?"

"Uh... because we're learning things on the civil war in history class?"

Carter grunted. "She's got a point."

Hazel tried again. "Ok...Then why would you be dreaming about me and Carter?"

"I dunno. Maybe 'cause you're my friend and he's my crush?"

Carter nearly slipped from a tree he was leaning on. "Wait, what?"

Maya shrugged."It's a dream. It's not like anything happening now is real."

Hazel looked at her friend with a concerned expression.

"Maya...."

Suddenly Carter had an idea.

"Here," he quickly shuffled over and in knelt in front of Maya.

"When you're dreaming, you have an extra finger," Carter held up his left hand for Maya to see.

"Look. No sixth finger. See?" He waggled his hand for extra effect, partly to convince himself as well.

Maya stared at his hand for a while, and Carter swore he thought the expression she wore wanted a sixth finger to pop out. She flushed a deep red and looked anywhere but at him.

Suddenly, Carter felt a stab of guilt going through his chest.

If only she knew...

He coughed and stood up quickly, brushing off on his black shorts, even though there was nothing there. Carter turned to Hazel and registered that she was still trying to soothe Maya. He remembered what he had wanted to say earlier.

"Your dress."

Hazel looked up in confusion. "What?"

"Your dress. What's up with the getup?" he elaborated.

Hazel jerked up, as if she remembered something important. She squinted up at the sky. Carter followed her gaze and realized that it was late afternoon.