Chapter 5: Rowan

Two days on this infernal ship and he was already fed up with everyone. Sailors were navigating the ship every hour towards Wendlyn. And even with Rowan's magic wind that pushed at the sails, they still had another three and a half days time before they reached the continent.

The voyage would have usually taken the good part of two weeks at best, three weeks at worst.

But Rowan had been continuously been pushing the ship forward, even during his sleep.

Yet they were still going so gods-damned slow.

He could've of used his cache of magic and pushed the ship even faster towards Wendlyn, but when he confronted Maeve, when he came for Aelin, he would need all of his power.

Every last drop.

He had spent the last two days unrelentingly planning Aelin's rescue, and the others hadn't bothered him, in fact they had only exchanged a few words during the last days.

Going over and over through his plan, he found a way in destroying everything and anything that could possibly get in their way.

But there was the problem of the fortress itself. Maeve would have guards, hundreds maybe even a thousand guarding her and Aelin. Rowan himself didn't even know if he and the others were enough to get through them and Maeve.

But he would fight and kill them, he would sell his soul to the dark gods to get his Fireheart back.

Still, the potential amount of guards were still a problem, one he had yet to solve.

He was sitting there, still brooding about it while staring out at the sea when Gavriel and Lorcan approached him.

Rowan's blood still boiled whenever he saw Lorcan. The man had come with them to rescue Aelin, but he was the bastard who brought Maeve to Aelin in the first place.

Rowan tried to control his breathing as they walked towards him, their arms crossed.

He remained facing the sea, but turned slightly towards them as they stopped behind him.

"Rowan," Gavriel said tentatively, as if expecting Rowan to blow. "We need to talk with you"

"What?" he growled.

Lorcan's face remained blank and he still, but Gavriel shifted side to side, his mouth turning into a grim line. "Rowan," Gavriel repeated, "We shouldn't go to Doranelle."

The rage in his veins returned again, this time roaring at Gavriel's words. "Excuse me?" he asked Gavriel with an incredulous look.

Gavriel shifted again, his back taunt. "Maeve wouldn't bring her back to Doranelle, that would be stupid on her part. We should be thinking of the other spaces where she would hide Aelin, going to Doranelle will be a waste."

Rowan reached inside himself, reached inside and felt their bond, their mating bond. He pulled on it trying to feel anything, anything from where she was and if she was alive.

He exhaled in relief as he felt her end of the line, the light faint but still shining, still alive. He let the bond guide him to feel where she was, and he felt the light end there in Doranelle.

"She is there," he replied to Gavriel and Lorcan, "Don't question me on this."

And with that he turned away, back towards the water. He heard them both turn away back towards the deck, but not before he heard Lorcan murmur to Gavriel "This is ridiculous, there is no way Maeve would have Aelin in Doranelle, to get her we would be better off searching other places, if she even survives whatever state she's in."

That fast something in Rowan broke. Before he realized what he was doing, he was lunging towards Lorcan and slamming him to the ground.

Rowan pinned Lorcan to the deck and growled while Lorcan struggled.

But he was stronger, the rage in him fueling his strength. He punched Lorcan in the jaw, hard.

"Don't ever say that again." he growled in Lorcan's face, and looked up to see Gavriel standing with his hands out, but staying out of it.

Rowan turned back to Lorcan, fire burning in his bones. "She's alive and will survive anything Maeve throws at her, and I know she's in Doranelle" he snarled and his face. "And so I suggest that you shut your rutting mouth before I'll rip out your throat."

And with that he stalked back toward his rooms, practically flinging the door off its hinges.

That bastard, that rutting fool dared to mention that Aelin might not survive, after he had caused this.

He should have killed Lorcan that day on the beach.

He needed to hit something, to do something.

Rowan released a giant wave of magic upon the ships sails, pushing them closer to Wendlyn as his anger emptied out into the powerful wind.

He was still fuming as the ship rocked beneath him with the force of his power, and he gripped the edge of the desk.

Pain shot up Rowan's spine, so fast and unexpected that he turned to see if there was a unscented attacker behind him. No one and no magic he could scent was there.

Pain filled his again, harsher this time and it choked the breath out of his body.

Waves of lightning came slashing down upon him to the point that he was panting, unable to think. He tried to gather himself as the pain receded, and he took a deep breath.

Blinding agony, some of the worst he had ever felt lashed onto him. He fell back onto the bed, something in him ripping and tearing inside of him.

 And then it was gone as if...as if a light had flickered off.

Aelin. Oh, Aelin. That pain, that agony should not be felt by anyone of good worth. What had that gods-damned bitch done to her?

He grasped on that bond and sent words spiraling down it.

Keep holding on Fireheart.

I will find you, no matter how long it takes.

He could have sworn that a moment later he heard a faint, whispered reply in his head. One word, one word was all that came back to him.

Rowan.

She had whispered his name, and that one word from her was all that mattered, that one word that told him that she was alive and surviving, and unbroken.

His fireheart still remained in the darkness, but at least the darkness hadn't killed his mate.

Hello guys. Thanks for taking the time to read my fan-fic. I hope that you enjoy it so far. I'm sorry if you find my chapters short but that's the only way I can keep on updating twice a week. Please vote and comment, and check back later for the next chapter.