Questions Answered #2

paolojcruz asks:

'How would you respond to winning a (hypothetical) fiction prize sponsored by an organization that's also known for bankrolling dubious scientific research (presumably beneficial to their own industry)?'

Honestly that would depend entirely upon how dubious said research is. I mean, scientific advancement is always a good thing... It's the use to which said advancement is put that generally proves to be the issue.

To be fair I think I'd be OK with it. After all, I've just won a (hypothetical) fiction prize! Booyah!

Wanqi05 asks:

'How would you react if you only had a cat and a thousand packs of freeze dried food on mars that is supposed to last you for ten years?'

A thousand packs of freeze-dried food wouldn't last three years, let alone ten, so I'd probably spend those two-and-a-bit years talking to the cat, pretending he or she was actually the person who'd put together the mission in such a slapdash fashion and berating said person accordingly until death inevitably comes for me and my feline friend.

YouKnowWhoIAm15 asks:

'How would you attack aliens and zombie apocalypse in single way?'

Pretty sure there's only one way to answer that, though the results would most definitely not be pretty.

Nuke 'em!

ADIB_RUSYAIDI asks:

'How would you write stories about good and horrible challenges in the journey to habitable exoplanets?'

Lots of research into the hypothesised challenges and conditions one would/could face on such a journey. For Hard Sci-Fi like that, research is key.

SoullessSmolBean asks:

'How would you know if a planet is similar to Earth when the atmosphere isn't suited for living things other than possibly water and gas?'

To be fair, I'd argue that if the atmosphere isn't suited for living things then by definition it's not a similar planet to the rock we call home.

If the atmosphere in question isn't one capable of supporting complex life then the chances are the water and gasses found on that particular planet are of a different chemical make-up.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that life, complex of otherwise, wouldn't exist there. There's every chance that life would evolve, vastly different life and under entirely different circumstances, on a planet where different conditions pertain.