Chapter Forty - The Sickness Deepens

Maura wasn't sure how much longer she could take of this. Thorin was practically imprisoning himself in his grandfathers treasure hoard, exhausting not only himself but his men as well. He was determined to find the Arkenstone, regardless the state his company was in. The Dwarf didn't see any other choice to ensure his authority as rightful king of his people.

The healer would often find Thorin shouting at Balin and Dwalin, blaming them for not working harder to find the kings jewel. He was no longer treating any of them like his brothers and friends as he once did before they got here, he was treating them all like they were beneath him. Maura couldn't bare to watch him become this person and would often find herself stepping in between him and the Dwarf he was accusing of such appalling things. Half the time she was terrified that Thorin would get just as angry with her and strike her down or worse, but in the end she always seemed to calm him down and bring the Dwarf she new back, but it never seemed to last.

The half-breed never noticed before, just how much of toll it was taking on her. She was at the point she could barely keep her eyes open. When she could bring Thorin back, she found it wasn't completely him. All he would talk about was gold. His gold. His gold and how it was going to save them and that she would never have to worry about becoming poor when she was with him. Maura had never been one for gold or trinkets, it was not appealing to her as it was for her kin. Her values were something others thought of so little.

The days continued to pass by slowly. Maura spent most of her time in the healing chambers, wishing she knew what to do. She could see now that the Dwarf she had fallen in love with was gone and he wasn't coming back. She began to wonder if they found the Arkenstone, would Thorin return to his normal self? Or if they found it would it make him only that much more crazier with his madness until it destroyed him? Maura could no longer hold back the tears that came rolling down her face as these horrid visions plagued her mind. Her Dwarf had become corrupted by the very thing that she swore she never let happen to him.

The Hobbit had been growing worried for his aunt. He would often have to go searching for her when she wouldn't appear at meal times and found her in the healing chambers passed out in her book and looking like she had been crying for hours. It hadn't gone unnoticed to Bilbo that the leader had grown quite a fondness for the healer, just as his Aunt Maura had grown just as close to him. She seemed more happy then she ever had in the years he knew her, until now. The young hobbit felt lost at this point. He'd seen how Thorin treated everyone, he was already going mad just to find the stone. He couldn't help but feel worried what should happen once he discovered the Arkenstone? What would happen to his aunt, if she should try to step between the king to calm him down the next time? Would he hurt her without hesitation? Or worse? Not wanting to disturb Maura from the rest she was clearly in need of. He quietly left the chambers.

It was the next morning. Maura stirred, slowly opening her eyes and glanced around to see she was still in the healing chambers with her book still opened up at the last page she was reading before she had passed out. She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and stumbled towards the door and headed down the long corridor. The woman was going in the direction of the treasure room when she heard voices coming from the throne room.

Thorin stood by the throne, staring at the place that the Arkenstone once sat, just above the throne. Maura slowly came walking down the hall and saw Bilbo standing beside him on the other side of the throne and what surprised her most of all was to see Balin, and Dwalin at the bottom of the steps. "It is here in these halls, I know it!" The King growled lowly.

"We have searched and searched." Dwalin pressed. They were beyond exhausted at this point. They had been continuing this countless search for weeks and still no sign of it.

Not well enough." The king hissed, still refusing to turn around and look either of his men in the eyes.

"Thorin, we all would see the stone returned." Maura couldn't recall if she had ever heard this strong warrior Dwarf speak so sincerely as he was right now. He was loyal to Thorin to a fold, even when he wasn't in his right mind.

"And yet, it is still not found!" Thorin snapped without hesitation, causing the healer to let out the startled breath she had been holding in. Both Balin and Dwalin shared a look of hurt, and defeat at this sudden outburst from their King.

"Do you doubt the loyalty of anyone here?" Balin challenged. Thorin finally turned around and looked at his friend who dared to question him as Maura came up beside the two brothers and Thorin began to descend down the steps from the throne. "The Arkenstone is the birthright of our people," he stated.

"It is the King's Jewel." Thorin sneered. "AM I NOT THE KING!" He roared, his voice echoed in the immense space and high-rise ceilings. Uncomfortable silence filled the area. None dared to speak. Maura could hardly meet Thorin's intense eyes that were filled with rage. "Maura." The healer looked up at the Dwarf, his face was tense, with no emotion at all. "Come up here." He ordered. The healer looked at Balin and Dwalin, nervously only to see Balin give her a look of 'just do as he says.' The healer climbed up the stairs only to feel Thorin grab her by the arm tighter then usual. " Know this: If anyone should find it, and withhold it from me, I will be avenged," he hissed.

Without another word, Thorin exited down the corridor behind the stone chair, pulling the woman along with him. The king hadn't said a word as he continued to stride down the hall. "Thorin stop." The healer told him. The Dwarf didn't listen and the woman began to struggle with him. " Thorin stop. Let me go!" she shouted this time. The two of them came to a halt and Maura yanked her arm out of Thorin's grip. "Thorin, what is wrong with you? Balin and Dwalin didn't deserve to be spoken to like that!"

"I don't trust them! None of them. One of them has it. I know it." Thorin growled at her.

"How can you even think that? Thorin, every one of those Dwarves are loyal to you. None of them would dare take the stone from you! This is not you at all!" She snapped and the next thing she knew Thorin grabbed both her arms and a gasp escaped her lips as he was inches from her face.

"Who's side are you on?" He snarled at her.

"Thorin, please let go of me." She calmly asked.

"Do not question me again. Or it will be the last thing you do." He warned and he shoved her to the side, causing her to stumble in the process and he continued down the hall. Maura was breathing heavily, as she watched him disappear. There was nothing left of the Thorin she knew, he was too far gone. The healer started to feel herself tremble as she slowly back up until she felt the stone wall and she slid to the ground and wrapped her arms around her legs and buried her face in her knees to muffle her soft whimpers.