71. Your Parents Don't Approve Of Him

Michael: "No, I don't like that boy." My dad says right after I close the door."I know, because throughout the entire meal all you did was be extremely rude to him!" I reply. "He has tattoos and his hair is not a simple shade of brown and rather than continue school he is in some sort of band. He is not good material for my little girl!" My dad says. "I am not a little girl anymore! And he is the sweetest guy ever, and sure he has tattoos and likes messing around with his hair but that's because he is crazy and doesn't care what others think about him! And yes, he is in a band and that band happens to be the best part of his life and has already taken him around the world basically! He is the best guy I have ever met and no matter what you say, I will not stop seeing him because of you." I say with a groan and rush back to my room.

Calum: "You will be okay, just breathe." I say as we walk into the kitchen.

"You must be Calum, nice to meet you." My mom says and he shakes her hand, but my dad remains sitting in his chair scowling.

"And dad, this is Calum." I say and Calum walks over to shake his hand. We all sit around the table and sit in awkward silence for a moment.

"So how old are you Calum?" My mom asks.

"17." He says and my dad rolls his eyes.

"And you know my daughter is 15, right?" My dad asks.

"Yes sir." He says awkwardly.

"And are you thinking of going to University?" My dad asks.

"Actually, I don't plan on going to Uni because I am in a band and we are really starting to take off." Calum says.

"Oh, I remember (Y/N) mentioning that. How is the band?" My mom asks politely.

"You think it is wise to drop out of school?!" My dad says dumbfounded.

"Dad!" I say to him with a stern look.

"This boy has no future and he is far too old for you!" He says while looking at me.

"This boy happens to have a big future ahead of him and he is only 2 years older than me!" I reply.

"I have my daughters best interests in mind, and I never thought that a high school drop out with a tattoo and a guitar fits into her plan!" My dad says bluntly.

"Well obviously you don't have my best interests in mind, because if you did then you would have realized that I don't care whether or not he plans on becoming a teacher or an accountant! No boy will ever meet your standards and all I can hope is that you have the decency to just let me be happy!" I say and I see my mom start to grin.

"My dad was just as hard to him, and now he is doing it right back." She says with a giggle and I see my dad rolling his eyes.

Ashton: "No, I do not like that boy." My mom says after Ashton leaves our house.

"Why?" I ask.

"I don't know, he just seems very childish and immature and you need a man not a child!" She says.

"Mom! I am 16, not 30!" I say which shocks her.

"It's not just that. He just seems a lot like your dad, and you know how that ended up." She says trying to make a joke of this.

"Dad left us because he is an asshole and Ashton is nothing like him! Ashton is the most amazing guy I have met, and he genuinely cares about me and that makes me feel safe for once in my life."

"I do not like him and I ban you from seeing him!" She states.

"You can't ban me from seeing my boyfriend! He is the sweetest guy ever and he is the first boyfriend I have had that has treated me this nicely and I intend on keeping him!"

"You will not see him!" She says again.

"Do you think you will stop me?" I ask.

"Do not disobey me!" She says again.

"Look, I don't know what is so bad about him because he is the nicest guy ever, but he is my boyfriend and this is my life and if I want to keep talking to Ashton then I will!"

"We will see how much you talk to him when you are grounded for the next 3 weeks!" She replies and I grumble before going up to my room.

Luke: "Hi Mr. and Mrs. (Y/L/N)." Luke says and shakes their hands. My little sister comes up and hugs his leg and he leans down and says hi to her. We sit down at the table and I see my dads face go into interrogation mode. I have 3 older sisters and have seen this many times before, since my dad has a checklist of characteristics he wants in all our boyfriends.

"So we have a few questions for you Luke." My dad says.

"Of course." Luke responds.

"How old are you?" He asks.

"17." Luke says.

"Any tattoos or piercings?" Dad asks.

"Not yet."

"Yet?" My dad says with suspicions.

"I don't know if my mom will let me but I have always wanted a lip piercing." Luke says and I almost want to jump across the table to slap him for saying this.

"Okay. You going to Uni?" My dad asks.

"No, I am finishing high school while I tour with my band but I do not think I will be able to do both Uni and be in a band." Luke says.

"Do you believe in abstinence?" My dad asks.

"Of course!" Luke lies and even my dad can tell.

"You are a terrible liar." My dad says with a glare.

"I know, but I would never hurt your daughter or anything of that sort. I really like her and I just am really happy when I am with her. I know it isn't the most amazing thing that i am choosing my band over school but we have gotten really far in the industry and our management sees a lot of potential with us. I understand that I am not the boyfriend you would probably choose for your daughter, but i do have her best interest in mind." Luke says and my dad scowls.

"I don't like him." My dad says to my mom.

"But dad!" I say in disbelief.

"He has no future ahead of him and sure he promises all that now but how about in 5 years when some other band gets big and he has no money and no job because he didn't go to college?!" My dad says.

"Not everything is always about making money from a job, sometimes it is about what makes you happy!" I say and my dad shakes his head.

"He doesn't have my approval." My dad says.