“I literally have no idea what you’re talking about Nixie,” I kept my poker face on as I shook my head at her. I was trying to make her feel like she had it all wrong but the way she was smiling at me made me want to bang my head and just tell her how I was feeling. 

“Cut the shit Fiera, I’m a girl and I know that look you both were giving each other,” she laughed. It sounded so natural and carefree. The way she joked as if we were best friends. It’s funny how everything can change in a matter of hours.

“What look?” I questioned with a frown. 

“Oh you know what look Fiera. The way you were talking about Romeo and Juliet and then all of a sudden that shit got deep. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him look at someone the way he looks at you. You guys were making me feel all hot with the heated stare off you were having…no pun intended,” she winked as she snapped her fingers, making a flame of fire light from her fingertips.

“I think you’re crazy Nixie. A guy like that could never be looking at me in that way. Have you seen him?” It was true. He was insanely handsome and so dangerously mysterious. His smile has girls falling at his feet. It was obvious that all the girls had the biggest crush on him, silently begging for him to be theirs.

“And you my dear friend are stupidly blind. Just let cupid do its thing and then I’m going to be singing, I told you so. Plus if he were to be with anyone then I would want him to choose you,” she grinned at me before blowing the flame out. I laughed at the absurdity of it actually happening. I didn’t even understand where this was all coming from. One minute I was a friendless, riding solo type of girl and now I have a crazy friend and a teacher I’m crushing on who both happen to be full of secrets.

What is actually happening?

“We’re here now, can I park in the driveway? I don’t think anyone’s home,” she said before nodding towards my house.

“No one ever is, go ahead,” I said and then she proceeded to park the small car into the fairly large driveway. We didn’t even need such a big house. It now felt like I was the only one who lived in there.

Once she cut the engine, we stepped out and made our way to the house. I wouldn’t call it a home anymore. It was just a large constructed building that contained all the essentials and materialistic things I needed to survive in this life. Home is meant to be where the heart is. It’s supposed to be a place filled with love and security. All of that died with my Mother.

“Your house is huge!” Nixie exclaimed with awe as we stepped over the threshold. My face remained blank and unbothered as I followed her gaze to the tall ceiling where the chandelier hung broadly. This house only held memories now. It was a bittersweet feeling to know how happy it was to be here with your family and now it’s all fallen apart to just a mansion like ghost.

“Would you like something to drink or eat?” I asked, completely ignoring the comment as she looked at the large entrance with ceramic tiling and the single flight of a spiral staircase leading up to the second floor. There were lavish ornaments placed on the side marble top table placed at the wall of the entrance hallway. The walls were painted a soft crème color, giving it the touch of richness.

Admittedly it was a beautiful sight but to me, it was just cold and empty. Judging from Nixie, it seemed she had fallen in love and never wanted to leave and we were only in the entrance still.

I started walking down the hallway towards the kitchen when I noticed she had forgotten how to speak. The kitchen was just as luxurious, with a black and white theme coloring around. Nixie was right on my heel, breathing every bit in. I remember having the same reaction when I first stepped into the house. My mother had decorated it herself, making each room themed with a different color.