Chapter 14

The weeks pass, and soon I am released from the hospital. Xander visited me every day while I was trapped in there, and when I am finally released he decides to take me out for a celebratory meal. He didn’t get in much trouble for the incident with my dad, because he was in possession of a weapon and I was harmed. It took a lot of lawyers and paperwork, but eventually they found me a family that I will be staying with until I graduate and go off to college. I have actually met the couple and they’re not half bad. I guess I’ll be okay, I’m not sure yet. I guess that anything must be better than the life I was living.

                As Xander wheels me through the front doors of the hospital (it still hurts too much to walk) I feel the breeze on my bare shoulders and watch my hair twirl in the wind around my face.

                “Where are we going?” I ask for the billionth time. Xander is making me cover my eyes as he wheels me to our destination.

                “I told you, silly, it’s a surprise.” I giggle, and say nothing else. As much as I hate surprises, I decide to let Xander have his fun and be good for once.

                After only a few more minutes, we slow to a stop. I bounce in my chair, visibly impatient as I wait for the big reveal.

                “Alright, now!” Xander gives me the order and I drop my hands. I gasp and turn to him, whacking his arm.

                “You are so cheesy!” I accuse, but inside, I am secretly delighted. He took me to the little café where we talked together, so many weeks ago. He smiles down on me and I grin back, melting at the sight of his beautiful eyes gazing tenderly into mine. He reaches down and gingerly lifts me from my chair. He carries me, bridal style, and sets me back down on “our bench,” his eyes never leaving mine. Once I am sitting, he reaches over and brushes a strand of my hair back behind my ear.

                “Gracee,” he whispers, his eyes smoldering as they bore into mine.

                “Yes?” I answer. He does not respond, instead, he turns his head minutely to the side, and slowly leans towards me. My eyes drift closed and suddenly the pressure of his lips on mine is all that I am aware of. Everything else slips away and the only things that remain are the two of us, two halves of one whole, only complete when we are together. Our lips move against one another, slowly at first, then more fiercely, a desperate kiss. His lip-ring presses into my lips, and the feeling is strange, almost unnatural yet not unenjoyable. After what seems like only seconds, I pull back, smiling.    

                “That’s enough for now,” I tease, trying to play off the fact that I had just experienced my first kiss.  “Now, what were you saying?” I smile at him, the fiery liquid of eyes distracting me.

                “Oh yes,” he continues, grinning from ear to ear, “now what was it that I was saying?” He leans in again, this time keeping his eyes open as he stares into mine. I hear him whisper it, and my heart overflows with happiness. We are trapped in our on little bit of eternity on that bench, where he utters the words just loud enough for me to hear:

                “Gracee, I love you.”