Chapter 8

I stumble through the front door, laughing at my own clumsiness when I see a sight that wipes the grin right off of my face.

My father is standing in the entryway, eyes blazing. His hair is disheveled, tie undone, and a bottle of Vodka in hand.

Where were you, you selfish little bitch?!” he screams at me.

“I-“

I am sick and tired of your pathetic excuses! I’m out, looking for a job to keep a goddamn roof over your head, and you can’t even bother to have a meal ready for me? Is that too much to ask? Well listen here you little shit, this is the last time you’re ever gonna behave like this, understand?” His eyes gleam wickedly, clouded over by the alcohol.

“Dad, listen-“ I try to reason with him, but he is much too far past coherency. He lumbers towards me, hand raised, and brings the bottle of Vodka down on my head.

 For a minute, everything is black. Then I hear a sound, like the steady beat of a drum, and realize that it is my pulse. I open my eyes, but I am still blind. I bring my hands up to my face and realize that my vision is blocked by the blood pouring from the gaping wound on my forehead. The pain feels distant, and I weakly lift my eyes to the image of my father, towering over me.

His sickly grin is all I can focus on until I feel the pain, so suddenly that I cry out. It is like nothing I have ever felt before. I curl into myself, trying to defend my unprotected body, but it is useless.   He leans down and latches onto my hair, forcing me to my feet. The room spins around me and I cannot find balance before he punches me in the gut so hard that all air leaves me. I bend over and wrap my arms around my torso, only to crash to the floor when he sweeps my feet from underneath me.

He laughs a booming laugh and continues his quest, to destroy me. I feel him kicking and punching as I drift in and out of consciousness. I am numb long before it ends, so I quietly suffer until he is done. After what feels like an eternity, he is satisfied and stumbles to his room, unconscious before he even lands on the bed.