Chapter 10

I arrive at the school within 10 minutes, having only seconds to spare. I scan the crowd of student loitering outside, trying to find the curly-haired boy I am looking for. Suddenly, I spot him. There, leaning against the wall, talking with his friends.

                As quickly as I can manage, I traipse over to him, ignoring the stares of many of my fellow students. At that moment, he looks up and sees my face. His eyes scan my face, landing on the large wound on my head, his eyes widening at the sight.

                “Grace, what happened?” he asks me, slightly alarmed. “I was at your house this morning but your dad said you had already left. I don’t know why but I just felt like something was wrong, so I came to check on you. I got your address from the school directory…” he babbles on. I cut him off sharply.

                “Xander, listen, could you drive me to the hospital please? Now?” He wears an expression of panic. He looks confused but willing.

                “Oh yeah, uh, sure, definitely,” he stutters. I’ve never seen him stumble over his words before. It would be adorable if I wasn’t getting so dizzy.

                He pulls his keys out of his pocket and puts his hand at the small of my back, leading me to the parking lot. We stop in front of a beat up Chevy Camaro.

                “Nice ride,” I joke, trying to lighten the situation. The poor car is falling apart. I’m surprised it runs, the bumper is falling off and the paint job’s a wreck. The inside is no better. When I sit down in the seat, stuffing floats into the air and a spring is poking my butt.

                “Hey, lay off her. She’s had a hard life,” he retaliates as he pulls out of the parking lot. I try and smile back, but the sudden movement is making my head swim.

                “Hey Gracee, are you okay? You’re white as a sheet. And hey,” he reaches over and lightly touches the clean side of my forehead, “you’re freezing.” I hadn’t noticed until he said it, but I was cold. I began shivering uncontrollably, even though it was 70 degrees outside in the California sun.

                “I’m f-fine,” I chatter through my teeth. He isn’t buying it. Xander reaches over and turns the heat on full blast, directing all the nozzles at me.

                “Just hang in there, Grace, you’re gonna be alright. Hey, Gracee? Are you okay? You’re turning green. Gracee?!”

                That is the last thing I hear before I slip into unconsciousness.