Princess Yue's 16th Birthday

Arnook had decided to invite the Avatar and his companions to the celebration of his daughter's 16th birthday. The dinner party was hosted outside of the palace, and, at first, I thought it was going to be uncomfortable seeing people I knew but hadn't seen in a long time. However, at the chief's table, there was an empty seat next to a brown haired girl.

 I walked up behind her and tapped her shoulder lightly, causing her to turn her head round. "Is that seat taken?" I asked, gesturing to the empty spot next to her. "No, you can sit there if you like," she replied with a smile. Thanking her, I sat down.  A moment later, a bald kid showed up, looking disappointed that he wasn't able to sit next to the brunette, though he shrugged it off and sat next to me instead.

 "Hey, I recognize those purple clothes anywhere," the boy suddenly blurted out, "you're from the Aequatoris Islands!" I looked at him with wide eyes, before smiling and saying "Yeah, and I'd recognize those markings anywhere, you're the Avatar." He did a small bow, as though he had finished a performance, at which I chuckled.

 "The Auquatoris islands?" the girl next to me joined our conversation, "I heard great things about that place. Is it nice there?" The boy behind her, who shared the same eye and hair color, added: "Yeah, I heard the women there are smoking hot!" 

 I only managed to utter an "Uhhhh...." in response, looking away, feeling overwhelmed by all those questions, also not wanting to gain their pity by telling them of the attack. Luckily, I didn't have to either. Arrook stood up, starting a chain reaction of people putting their conversations on hold. "Tonight, we celebrate the arrival of our brother and sister from the southern tribe," he announced "and they have brought with them someone very special. Someone who many of us believed had disappeared from the world 'till now. The Avatar!"

 The crowd began cheering, clapping, whistling.

 "Another important person is here tonight! Royalty from an island on the equator, who has given us for sight to an attack," - I realized it was me he was talking about - "(y/n) of the Auequatoris islands!" The crowd applauded me as well, though it wasn't comparable to the cheer the Avatar had received. 

 Arook gave me a glance, gesturing me to stand up which I did. Flipping my hood down, I gave the crowd a smile and nodded my head, before taking a seat once more. I was used to that sort of announcement, my family being of royal descent, yet it never ceased to make me feel uncomfortable.

 "We're also here to celebrate my daughter's sixteenth birthday," as if on command, the chief stepped aside, making way for the white haired teen to appear. "Princess Yue is now of marrying age!" 

 "Thank you father, " Yue said, "May the great Ocean and Moon Spirits watch over us at these troubled times." "Now," her father spoke again, "Master Pakku and his students will perform!"

 Across from us, on a stage made of ice - like pretty much everything else - an older man and two youngsters began water bending. I watched in awe, captivated by the simple yet elegant moves of the water benders. Water bending had always fascinated me, the push the pull, the balance. 

 Everyone in my family was a water or earth bender. That is, everyone besides for my grandmother and me. The two of us were fire benders. In fact, she was the one who taught me everything I knew about my ability. 

 When the performance was done, I clapped until my hands went numb. Metaphorically speaking, at least.

 That night, as I looked out of the window, I noticed the two kids around my age who I had sat next to at the celebration. I leaned against the railing, watching them bemusement. They were water bending. The avatar, whom I came to know as Aang, was teaching the water tribe girl, Katara, some water bending tricks. 

 Although I wasn't exactly a good judge of water bending, she seemed to be quite good at it, picking up the moves with ease. All the sudden, she seemed to lose control of the water she was bending, as it orbited around her, and seemed to fly above her.

 "That was amazing, Katara!" Aang cheered, "How did you do that!?" Yeah, that boy certainly isn't the brightest. "I didn't," the girl simply stated.

 I looked up to where the water disappeared to and saw Pakku standing on a bridge just above the water bending duo. He let the liquid circle him, before turning it into numerous, solid blades, which he commanded to puncture the bridge's railing.

 The two on the ground looked up to the bending master. "I was just showing her a few moves," Aang explained. Pakku wasn't having it. "You've disrespected me, my teachings and my entire culture," he said. The Avatar tried apologizing, but it was of no use. "You are no longer welcome as my student," the elderly man stated and left.

 I felt bad for them, knowing how it is to have your bending frowned upon. Yet there wasn't anything I could do for them, and I had to accept that. Yawning, I went to bed. Or, at least tried.

 Although I was on solid ground and knew this, I felt as though I was still at sea. The bed seemed to sway like my boat did, as the ceiling acted as the never moving sky.

 I flipped myself upside down, hoping that the illusion would stop, which it didn't. However, I finally managed to fall asleep, even if I was greeted by the memories I'd stowed away during the previous hours I'd spent awake.