Chapter 4: Heartsick.

Crystal's POV

The next week was a blur. My life was somewhat stable until my aunt had sat me down and told me the news.

I sat in the class room Monday morning and drifted back to the events of yesterday:

"Crystal? Honey, do you have a minute?" Chantel had come into my room with a timid smile on her beautiful face.

"Yea sure. Of course." I watched as she tucked a strand of loose, chocolate, hair behind her ear before continuing.

"So Matthew and I have been together for quite a while now and we felt as if it would be best to-"

"Did you guys break up? Oh Chant, I'm so sorry." I stared in confusion as she shook her head lightly.

"No sweety, we didn't break up. We actually decided to tie the knot. We are getting married."

I could see the bursting happiness in her face as she waited eagerly for my reaction.

The look in her eyes told me that she had found the one. After years of just me and her, she had found the one.

But how could she? Live in enough freedom to where she could commit to the soul of another being.

Another being other than me...

I swallowed hard and smiled lightly. "Thats great Chant, I'm really happy for you."

It wasn't a lie, I was happy for her but at the same time, why did things have to change?

I loved Matthew Shinoby, he was a great person. Full of humor, love, and support.

He always helped my sister and I through whatever.

So why was I skeptical about this?

***

"Crystal, may I speak with you in private?" My spanish teacher motioned for me to follow her out of the classroom and Into the hallway.

"I'm sorry Ms. Martinez, I didnt mean to space out during class." I apologized and she smiled lightly.

"It's ok Crystal. Your sister came by and explained everything. You should take the rest of the day off, process how you feel mi amor. She smiled at me reassuringly before heading back into the classroom.

I took a deep breath and shouldered my backpack. I didn't have a car. Where would I go?

Nothing would make me happier than to go home and hide under my bedcovers for the rest of my life.

I could listen to James Arthur all day any day without tiring.

But I knew Chantel wouldn't approve of me being at home without being sick.

Sadly, what my sister didn't understand was that for a person to be sick, the problem didn't have to be mental or physical. It could be emotionally. The person's heart could be sick.

Heart sick had been exactly how I felt the day my mom had passed and the day my best friend had vanished without a trace.

No phone call, no texts, nothing. He was just.... gone.

Chantel was all I had and after thirteen years, she was now trying to change everything.

Feeling Betrayed, I wandered down the hallway and out of the school doors.

I was heartsick.