s e v e n t e e n

Start from the beginning

Why would she leave after dropping that bomb?

I peered over to Daniel. He was looking at me. Once our eyes met, a smile appeared on his lip and I immediately averted my attention to the machine. No way. No way could Daniel like me. What if he did? What was I going to do? I felt so awkward when I gave Daniel his coffee and the carrot cake.

"Thanks," said Daniel.

"Yep," I squeaked, heading back to the counter.

After work, Daniel and I went to the studio for our ballroom class. We were getting much better. We were a thousand times better when we first started but that didn't stop Kevin from telling us we were doing it all wrong and kept trying to show me how to do it either by dancing with me, pretending to be Daniel, or dancing with Daniel, pretending to be me. Today, I was making a lot of mistakes and Daniel, much to his dismay, had to dance with Kevin to show me how to do the move.

When I finally got the move right, Daniel was looking at me weirdly. "You seem distracted," he noted.

"What? No, I'm not. What makes you say that? I'm not distracted. You're distracted."

"You definitely seem nervous."

Curse you, Lucy, for dropping that bomb on me. I couldn't get it out of my head. Did Daniel really like me? What if she was looking too much into it? We were friends. If he really liked me, wouldn't he tell me by now? He wasn't exactly the type of guy who kept his feelings hidden. He seemed to be the type who was confident enough to confess his feelings for someone.

"You know, you don't have to pick me up after work for class," I mumbled softly.

"I don't mind."

"Well, you don't have to wait for me in the coffee shop thirty minutes before my shift ends, then. I don't mind if I have to wait if you're late."

"Nah, I like it there. It's relaxing. I like the smell of coffee," Daniel stated.

"I don't believe you."

There was a moment of silence between us. I eyed Daniel with a raised brow and Daniel only grew more uncomfortable. He exhaled hopelessly.

"Do I have to talk about it now?" he sounded irritated.

I shook my head, taking the hint. "No, you don't," I said before looking away and concentrating on the dance moves.

"So, was that it? Am I the one distracting you?" He was being cocky again, with a sideway smirk.

"Get over yourself," I mumbled.

Daniel snickered. "Anyways, I was meaning to ask you what you were doing next Sunday," Daniel asked.

"Not much. Dad's working so I guess I'll be chilling it out by binge watching some tv show," I said. "Why you ask?"

"Well, if your dad's busy, then how about you have lunch at my place on Sunday?" he offered.

"With your family?"

"Yeah," he nodded. "Why? Would it be weird?"

I shook my head. "No, it won't. Just was wondering why me?" Doesn't he have a billion other friends to ask? Why would he invite me? We only known each other for the first term. Then I thought about what Lucy implied. Daniel likes me. No. No. No. I was thinking too much into it. He didn't like me. I was probably the only friend of his who didn't have plans for Easter.

Daniel chuckled awkwardly. "Well, uh, my parents want to meet you. My dad for some reason likes you. At the time, I don't get what it is about you that he likes. He was impressed by you at the Awards night last year. So, there isn't much for him to go off by to like you except that you're a super nerd."

I frowned. "Hey! I can be very loveable," I said defensively.

"I don't think so," he shook his head.

"I so can be."

"I never saw it," he replied.

"This not heading to a great direction."

"What I mean to say is that I never really saw it then. I kind of get it now, but that's beside the point. My dad thinks you're nice and has been pushing me to be friends with you."

"Why?"

Daniel shrugged. "I don't know. I guess he thinks that if I become friends with you, I'll become more like you or some bullshit like that."

I laughed smugly. "Well, well, well," I said. "Looks like I'm the golden child of your own family."

Daniel sighed. "Don't get ahead of yourself," he said unimpressed. "Well, you interested in coming?"

I nodded. "Not like I have anything else to do," I replied. Easter Sunday was this weekend. I was somewhat excited to meet Daniel's family. Especially if Daniel's dad already approved of me. This should be easy, right?

"Alright, but I have to warn you. My family is a little weird."

"Have you met my dad?"

"Good point. But my parents can be a little picky at times. Even though my dad claims to approve of you, that doesn't mean they won't like you at first. They have a habit of not trusting or liking any of my friends."

"Oh, okay. Uh, thanks for the advice then."

"Sweet. Lunch is at twelve-thirty."

"Sounds good."

From Daniel's expression, I got the sense I should be nervous too. But being a paranoid person, I was beginning to wonder whether Daniel was nervous because he really wanted his parents to like me. If that were the case, why would he care so much unless he intended me to be part of his life in the long run? Or were his parents really curious to meet me?

By why?