Another's Arms

"Come on! I wanna see Chris already!"

Dr Taylor put a hand on Jonny's shoulder.

"Calm down. Shona's just doing his checks. As soon as she's done you can go see him."

What's taking her? She seems to take so long these days. A couple of weeks ago she'd be in and out in a jiffy.

Eventually someone came out from behind the curtain.

"Okay, I'm all done for now." Finally! "Oh, hi, Jon." For the first time he looked right into her eyes.

"Hi..." He became lost in a sea of green. Wow.

"Did you want something?"

"Er... how is he?" he asked nervously.

"He can talk a bit now. Also his back brace his been fitted so he sit up a bit if he's careful."

"Oh, that's good." He smiled timidly, adjusting his brown trucker cap. Come on. You've kept it well inside until now. Not even Guy or Will knows. Ask her. "Er... Are you... doing much later?"

Shona was taken aback. No. It can't be. Jonny Buckland, my favourite Coldplay member, wants to hang out with me?

"No. Why do you ask?"

"Well... You've- been so nice to me since... and I wanted to... get to know you outside all of this..."

It was a no-brainer.

"You're on. 8:00 on the bench down the road."

"Okay. Well, er- see you later, then." Jonny looked her way as she walked off and didn't take his eyes off her until she was out of sight. Oh my God, she's so beautiful...

Chris saw a familiar figure standing by him.

"Hi, Chris." Jonny.

I can't. I can't look at him anymore.

"Go..."

"Er- Chris? What's wrong?"

"You don't- need me... I'm- the worst- person- ever... I don't- deserve you..." Chris' eyes were still staring in front of him, away from Jonny's face.

"Chris... That's not true..."

"I said... Go..." The beeping from Chris' monitor increased in speed, his chest rising and falling rapidly. Jonny was ushered away by a nurse as Dr Taylor rushed to Chris' side and pulled the curtain round the bed.

Jonny dragged himself back to the waiting room. Each minute seemed to last an hour, as if reluctant to enter the past. What happened to Chris? What was he on about? Why was he saying all that about himself?

1 hour and 42 minutes later. The door opened.

"Jonny?" Jonny looked towards the door and saw Dr Taylor.

"Chris? Is he alright?"

"He had a panic attack," Dr Taylor explained. "I'm sorry but he doesn't want to see anyone right now. You'll have to come back tomorrow." A tear fell down Jonny's face. He left the waiting room without another word, heading towards the exit with his head down. He went through the doors and kept going, still looking at the floor, until he reached a bench.

"Jon? Jonny?" Jonny slowly lifted his head. Shona. He looked at his watch. 8:00. "I'm here, as promised." She took a seat next to him on the bench. "Are you okay?"

"I'm- much better now you're here..."

"You know, you're my favourite in Coldplay."

Jonny smiled brightly.

"What, more than Chris?"

Shona's green eyes gazed into Jonny's. Yes. Even more than Chris. I let the fangirl side of me get in the way of how I saw him. But you, Jonny... The green eyes... You're the one I wanted to find...

"Yeah." She began to reach over, but then stopped halfway.

"It's okay. I don't mind." He pulled her into a hug. Their green eyes fixated on each other.

Shona smiled. Forget sparks. I call this magic. Lost in the moment, she placed her hands on his face. She didn't expect him not to pull away. She certainly didn't expect him to return the favour. But the last thing in the whole world she expected was for his lips to come into contact with hers. Her heart raced at high speed.

Jonny eventually eased himself off her. Did I just- Oh my God. I think I've fallen for her.

"I- guess I don't need to ask you, then," Shona said.

"Are- are you asking me out?" Shona nodded. "I- I don't know, I... I mean- since Chloe, I..."

"You deserve to be happy, Jon. Don't let what happened with her get in the way of that."

"I suppose... Well, I'd- better be going." Jonny got up off the bench and pecked her cheek. "Bye, then." He walked back towards the hospital to return to his car. Out of Shona's sight, he burst into tears.

Chris! I'm sorry! You loved me and I let myself fall for someone else! I'm the worst person ever! I don't deserve you!