Sparks

"Hello, sleepyhead." Chris looked to his left. Shona. He smiled, his gaze fixed on her. "The boys went home. They were pretty tired too. You've got just about everyone making a fuss about you, you know." Shona pulled the curtain around the bed again, before picking up a clipboard that was placed on the foot of the bedframe. "Okay, let's just check a few things, shall we?" She took a pen from the pocket of her scrubs and, reading off the monitor, began to write. Pulse 65, sat 98%, BP 110/75, RR 12. "Great. You've definitely improved since your operation. But you've still got a way to go. You're stuck with me for a while yet." I'm not about to complain, Chris thought to himself. Ever since I was able to put a face to that beautiful voice I couldn't wait to see it again. His eyes continued to focus on Shona, taking in every stunning detail.

Then he saw it.

A black mark on her arm. What was it? Was she hurt?

"Oh, er- yes," she said nervously. "Your sheets. I'm gonna be moving you around again, sorry about this," she joked, rolling Chris over to take the sheet off the nearest side and start putting on a new one. "I'm so sorry, Chris, I will leave you alone in two ticks, I promise." Oh, please don't. Can you not stay here forever? He wished the other side could have taken longer, just to keep her here that little bit more.

As she was placing him back down on his back, he looked in her eyes with a cheeky grin. He reached up to her face and ran his hand across it. He then rested his hand under her lips and winked, a playful sparkle in his eye.

Shona could not believe it. Is Chris Martin flirting with me? No, it can't be. Why would someone like him be interested in a loser like me? But she wasn't about to pass up the opportunity, and laid a kiss on his hand.

She saw sparks.

BEEP BEEP! A red LED light flashed on the pager clipped to her belt.

"I've got to go." She pulled the curtain back to its default position. "You behave yourself, okay?"

==============================================================================

Chris could still see the moment their eyes met clearly. Going down the runway. Her colourful banner in my eyes. Seeing her so happy that I noticed her... The concert continued to flash through his mind. Confetti, balloons, the fans...

The mysterious figure. The gun. Panic...

"EVERYBODY GET DOWN!!" His own screams played back, over and over. BANG! BANG! BANG! His heart thumped in his chest, his throat feeling tighter and tighter like it was about to close up. He began to shake all over as he lay fighting for breath. I'm dying. I'm dying.

==============================================================================

"Chris?" Shona was by the bed. The curtain was pulled round. How long had she been here? What the hell happened to me? "It's okay. I know panic attacks are frightening. It's not surprising, after what you've been through." Panic attack? You sure it wasn't a heart attack? It sure felt like one. "Take it easy now." Chris stared into her green eyes as she smiled. She's so beautiful... He couldn't control himself, and reached over to her with his left hand. Her hand made contact with his.

He saw sparks.

Come closer to me.

He used every ounce of strength to pull her towards him.

"Chris!" Shona exclaimed gently, grinning. "You're gonna get me into trouble." But it feels so good... I was so scared before, and now I'm safe. "Two minutes, okay?" She sat on the chair nearest to him, looking into his deep blue eyes. He hadn't realised he'd even been thinking about it until now, but he couldn't contain the urge to put his hand up to her face. For the first time in three weeks, he was happy. His usual toothy grin lit up his exterior again. Nothing else mattered to him now. What does it matter that the concert was ruined? I'll get better, and then there'll be others. But I'll never get to meet someone as wonderful as her again. I want to savour every moment, because once I'm out of here that'll be the last I ever see of her. "Right, I'd better go." Go on. Do it. She leaned in and held onto him- and immediately felt a peck on her cheek. "Hey. I said behave yourself. Get some rest now, alright? I'll see you later." Shona eventually moved away, and pulled the curtain back around the other way before going over to another bed.

Chris stared in shock.

Did I just- Oh my God. I think I've fallen for her. But what about...

Jonny.

His eyes filled with tears. They fell down his face as his eyelids came down to blink.

Jonny... I'm sorry...

Chris was conflicted. He loved Jonny. He did. But ever since the attack, at least from what he remembered, he hadn't been able to stop thinking about Shona. Why? Why did you have to make it so complicated? I had Jonny, and it was so simple. Now it's you that's always in my head, and you're making me question everything about me and Jonny. I always knew I loved him, but am I in love with him? I used to be so sure of the answer, but now I just don't know. Maybe he was always more like a brother, but I never had to ask myself that until now. Now you've made me have to find out.