Chapter 3

"I'm sorry." He said, staring at me.

"About what?" I asked, my voice low and tired.

"About all of this; we aren't bad people, we just did what we had to do to surivive." He said, but I could tell not even he belived it.

"So you had to kill those eight people?" I asked, anger entering my voice, "you had to end theirs to keep yours?"

He bit his lip, "these voices...they tell me to do things. Maybe I am a bad person. I rob banks, I kill people, but I do it for the greater good if that makes any sense."

I rolled my eyes, "you are a bad person." I said, looking at my brother who was sound asleep and snoring.

He seemed hurt, and I felt...bad, "yeah, I am." He said, looking over at Seth who was still talking to my father.

"I...." I stopped, "I understand, you know." I said, not beliveing my own words. "I know you have killed so many people, but....you don't seem bad." I said, making eye contact and my hand moving across the table to touch him on the sholder.

He frowned, "you're the first person to tell me that....even after knowing everything I have done." He cupped his hand over mine.

I felt an urge to lean in and kiss him, but I couldn't, not with my brother beside me and my dad in the driving seat. "What are the voices telling you now?" I asked, curious as to what they were telling him to do.

"They are telling me that you're telling the truth." He said, growing closer and closer to me, but then stopped, our mouths almost brushing.

The car lurtched forward, "we're here!" My dad called from the driving seat.