iii.

I glanced reproachfully from the box of chocolates to the stark white door. The strong scent of antiseptic assaulted my nose. The screeching of stretchers and hushed conversations echoed around me. I let out a shaky breath.

'Grace I can hear your heavy breathing through the door. Stop dawdling and get in here.'

I let out a soft laugh before carefully pushing the door open.

'I didn't want to scare you with how gruesome I look,' I murmured, forcefully stretching my thin lips into a smile. By the dulling of her emerald eyes I could tell it was too wide to seem natural.

'Well it's too late for that. I can see that horrid looking pimple on your chin, are you sure it's not alive?'

I gasped, sending Elaine an icy look before throwing the box of chocolates at her. I regretted it immediately. Elaine winced as the box hit her stomach.

'Oh God, I'm so sorry!' I rushed over to the white bed, bending over my sister's frail frame as I frantically ran my hands over her stomach, 'are you okay? Do you need me to get a doct-'

'I'm fine, stop it,' Elaine weakly pushed my hands away.

'No really, if you're in pain you need to tell me. I-'

'Stop! Stop tiptoeing around me like I'm some sort of freak!' I froze as Elaine squeezed her eyes shut, deep ridges forming along her pasty forehead. The dark bags around her eyes deepened as she opened her eyes and gazed wistfully out the window, 'can we just pretend I'm not sick...just for today.'

***