Chapter 1 Girl: Going Away

I exhaled, calming my nerves, as I sat my bags down at my feet. This is it because now starts my new life on March 29th, 2013. By the way, I’m Lilliana Jean Cooper, but most people call me Lily. I was born in England and raised in Charleston, South Carolina. My parents are Rebecca Carolyn Jean Cooper and Richard Shawn Jacob Cooper.

        My mother is just like any other mother in the world. She worries too much about everything. Mother is an average size British-American 37 year old woman, but only with a scar across her left eyelid. My father is more sensible about things in life than my Mum. Dad thinks before taking action on any problem. He is a tall 39 year old Irish man with a small beard. I have my mother’s green eyes, but have my father’s orange hair.

        “Mum, I’ll be okay.” I reassured her as I counted my bags. I saw Dad place a large hand on Mother’s arm. “Dear, Lily’s train doesn’t leave until a quarter to noon. For goodness sake, Rebecca, she is nineteen years old. Our little princess has grown up to be a young, headstrong adult. Don’t worry because she’ll be fine.” Dad explained trying to soothe Mum’s worry. 

        Mum panicked frantically as she fidgeted her hands and kept repeating, “Richard, I don’t know about this. I don’t think Lily is ready for this.”

        “I …” Dad started to say, but was interrupted by Mum. Mum looked at me.

“Lily, are you really sure that you want to do this?” She said as her eyes grew big in realization of forgetting something important, “Oh hon. Don’t forget to call if you need us, Lily.” 

      Dad rolled his baby blue eyes at me and mouthed “I tried.” 

       I rolled my eyes back at him and mouthed, “Thanks, Dad.”

        “I’m really sure, Mum that I can do this. I will be alright, so no need to worry. I’ll remember to call you everyday and every night, Mum.” I told her a little frustrated then I hugged my mum and dad goodbye. The train’s whistle blew loud, so I gathered up my bags and hurried onto the train. I plopped down into one of the stiff, but comfy leather seats with my bags. As I looked out the foggy windows, I saw Mum and Dad waving farewell and I waved back at them.

        Then, my mum started to cry a few tears from her green eyes. Mum’s dark brown hair was plastered against her face from the morning humidity and Dad wrapped his muscular arms around her to calm her down. He saw me watching them, nodded as if saying “She’ll be fine”, and winked at me for good luck. The train started to move slowly and in a few minutes, after we left the station, the train was speeding along the tracks.

I opened my bag and got out my most favorite book “Crushed on a Werewolf” by June Ping Lee. June loves supernatural creatures. She wrote many books and some names I can’t remember. June Lee is my most favorite author. Hours passed by like the chilly, whistling wind outside my window. As I was reading, I was thinking about my new home that I would live in. “Will I like it or will I hate it?” was the question that I asked myself. After a while, I stuffed my book back in my bag and the train suddenly jerked to a screeching stop. I flew face-first directly into the seat in front of me. Oooof!!!

        I got off the train and what I saw made me stop in an awe shock. Father was most definitely right about this place. Augustine, Maine was overflowing with boats in the sea and tons of forests. I walked toward the entrance of the Maine train station, hulling my heavy bags with me. When I got outside of the station and I was jumping for joy. 

        There by the station was a brand new metallic black Ford Mustang and I scuttled over to it. I stuck some of my bags in the back seat and the rest were put in the trunk. I slid casually into the car and thought that this was very cool that I finally have my own car. The zebra striped seats that I sat on felt like velvet silk. I scanned the dashboard and found an envelope laying on it and I picked it up. On the front of the envelope was my name written in bright blue ink, so I tore open the envelope. There was a note in it and the note said:

Dear Lily,

Our princess, we’ll miss you everyday and this is hard for us to let you go. We wish you the best of luck as you go out into the world to make your best effort. The mustang is a going away present from the both of us. We put $5,000.00 new life money in the envelope. Happy Trails and know that we love you.

Love,

Father & Mother

        I smiled after reading the end. “I love you too.” I said almost crying. I put the car into gear and started driving to my new place. The road to get there was twisting this way and that which made it more exciting to get there. The land where my new home stood on was very pleasant. The cottage house sat upon a grassy hill with a weeping willow tree at the bottom. The hill was in between a patch of woods and a lighthouse on the coast which I really loved the sight of it.

        I parked the mustang in the driveway. I grabbed my bags, went inside and started to unpack them. I was humming a tune while I worked which made it go by quicker. I made a trip to the store to get some food. Then, I cooked a chicken and rice dinner and watched some TV. Cartoons was what I was watching. Hey, can you blame me for being a kid at heart.

        After supper and TV, I went outside to enjoy the cool breeze that was blowing.