Chapter Twenty Three

Well here it is a new chapter!

Chapter Twenty Three

The ride to my house was long, every minute felt like an hour, and it felt as if someone was plucking out my nerves one by one. I kept on playing with my hands and biting my lips. Thousands of possibilities ran through my mind, what if the rogue wasn't lying? No, Sophie's fine, when I go home, she'll be there, watching TV and annoying the hell out of me. Tears rushed to my eyes, but I held them back from falling. A warm hand gripped my thigh, giving it a comforting squeeze. I looked over at Ryder, who was driving, he didn't look my way, or say anything, but I was grateful, because I didn't want to hear 'It'll be ok' or 'don't worry', I just need someone to be here with me.

We pulled up in front of my house and I rushed out. The sky was pitch black and the house seemed desolate. None of the lights were on. Forgetting about Ryder, I opened the unlocked door and stepped in. The house seemed cold and empty, it wasn't wrecked or damaged that badly, but there were signs of a struggle.

"Mum" I called out, but I was welcomed with nothing but the sounds of cars driving past.

"Sophie" Nothing.

I stepped into the living room and gasped. My mum was kneeling on the floor, silent. She had bruises on her face and a little blood on her cheeks. I quickly ran to her and kneeled down.

"Mum" my voice broke as I saw the state she was in. She looked up and once she saw me, she burst into tears whilst sobbing and clinging onto me. Tears rolled down my face.

"They took Sophie. I tried to stop them, but they took her. She's gone" my mum cried. My heart stilled, the rogue he took her. He was distracting us so that he could take her. I felt my eyes burn from the tears.

This was my fault.

All of this was my damn fault. I should've been here with her, but I was too busy being selfishly caught up in my own problems. She must feel helpless, alone and most of all terrified.

"Mum I need you to tell me what happened?" I gripped her shoulders forcing her to look at me. I was met with a painful, empty look that made my insides churn with guilt. My mum sniffled before nodding.

"She was here, on the sofa reading. I was in the kitchen, Tessa. I don't know what happened; I guess she must've heard something and decided to look because the next thing I heard was a scream. I ran into the living room, the window was smashed open. They grabbed her and I did everything I could to stop them. You have to believe me" mum whispered the last part helplessly. I knew she blamed herself, but she had no chance anyway, they were werewolves. I nodded my head and she continued.

"I ran up to them and kicked them, bit them, I did everything I could physically do, but it was no use, they were just too strong" A new batch of tears rushed out my mother's eyes. I sat down next to her feeling completely useless.

She then stood up and rushed over to the phone.

"I have to call the police, they need to save her, they'll know what to do" mum dialled numbers into the telephone. I felt a wave of panic rush within me. If the police come, they'll suspect something, they can't know, I won't let them. I stood up and snatched the phone out of my mum's hands and abruptly ended the call.

"Why did you do that?" Mum asked, confused and slightly annoyed. "Why would you stop me from finding your sister?"

"Mum it's nothing like that, but the police can't help us" I said quietly. Mum just looked confused and tired.

"Why?"

"Because we're dealing with something far more dangerous than they can handle" I quietly stated the dread seeping through my voice.

I started to explain everything, the letters, to the attack in the woods, werewolves and rogues. I then explained her about werewolves, how that's why I wasn't there today. My mum just listened silently not saying a single word. When I finished telling her everything, I was met with silence. The silence was beginning to kill me. I wanted to hear her say something, not sit there like a statue.

"Mum please say something" I pleaded, but she still sat quietly, killing me with her silence.

"Tessa I can't smell the rogues, those damn bast-" Ryder stopped talking when he realised we were not alone. He stood there stiff and awkward. This was the first time he's seen my mother, let alone met her. My mother looked at him.

"Who is he Tessa?" Mum questioned me and I gulped nervously.

"Well he's my boyfriend Ryder and he's a werewolf, but don't worry, he's here to help us-"

"Help us? He's a werewolf; it's his fault this happened. He could've prevented this, but he couldn't because he was too busy fooling around with you!" She shouted. My heart stung from the comment at the end and I could see that Ryder was trying to hold in his anger. I stood in front of him, instinctively defending him.

"It's not his fault, mother. He's here to help us find Sophie, he's a werewolf he knows better than us" I argued back.

"And how do you know he's not one of them? For all we know it could've been his idea," She glared at Ryder, who was holding my hand in a protective stance. She narrowed her eyes at our hands.

"He's not bad mum. He helped me and saved me." I tried to persuade her.

"I don't want you around him anymore" She stated coldly. I froze, looking at her with disbelief. I could feel Ryder's hand tighten around mine.

"No"

"Excuse me?" mother looked at me shocked. I wasn't going to stop seeing Ryder. He was my mate. I can't believe she'll demand something like that from me. That wasn't even the problem; she wasn't looking at the bigger picture which was the fact that Sophie was missing, and Ryder was the biggest help we would receive.

"He's my soul mate, my boyfriend and right now the only useful help. He will help us find Sophie and I'm not going to let you ruin that" I could see the anger boiling in her eyes.

"We wouldn't have needed the help, Sophie wouldn't have been missing if you weren't careless. Why do all our problems stem from you, Tessa?" I felt the cut from her words and could see her regret as she covered her mouth with her hands. She was bringing my father into this. She was bringing up the fact that he had a heart attack after I got into an argument with him. I felt like the room was closing in on me, and suddenly felt like I couldn't breathe. I had to leave this place.

"I'm going with Ryder to the pack house," I emotionlessly said, turning around to leave, but before I left I turned around. "Do me a favour mum, if you have any love left for me, promise not to call the police?" After saying that I left and went into the car.

Once I was in the car, I couldn't hold my emotions in any longer and broke down. I cried for the fact that Sophie was gone and in danger, I cried because my mother thought of me as trouble, I cried because at that moment I felt totally alone and useless. Warm hands wrapped around me bringing me into Ryder's chest. Ryder held me as I cried the last of my tears. After I was finished, we sat in silence, a comfortable silence. Although on the odd times you could hear my hiccups from the crying.

"We'll find her Tess" Ryder encouraged me, squeezing my hand before giving it a loving kiss. I wiped away the tear stains and smiled determinedly.

"I'll find you Sophie, I promise," I said to no one in particular.

We drove back to the pack house, since I didn't want to go back home. My mind felt heavy with all the crap that was thrown at me today. I have to find Sophie. Starting from tomorrow I was going to try to track her, and I won't stop until I do.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A/N: So here it is after a long wait, a new chapter! I know I just wrote an author's note saying why I haven't updated, but I felt like it. The note inspired me oddly enough. What do you think of Tessa's mother? Do you think she has a justified reason for acting like that? Thank you for reading and voting and what not! Love you guys!  :) Well it's been nice talkin' to ya but I need to go! Cheerio!

Stay out of jail!

C.I.A