Chapter 4: Spending the Night

We were in the store when Stormy called telling me the news.

"Hey girly" I said while I was eying different brands of popcorn. "What's up?"

There was a slight pause. "Umm, I don't know how to tell you this." she said, her voice hesitant.

I stop looking at the Orville Redenbacher's and turn to look off into space. "What's wrong?"

"Oh nothing. Just that....." she paused for a brief moment then continued. "I'm going to see my parents." she said sorrowfully.

"....Well when are you leaving?" I questioned. Jc came down the aisle with Ricky on his back holding on to packs of skittles.

"The thing is....I'm already at the airport."

"What?!?" I almost dropped my phone. "Why didn't you tell me?" I asked hurt. Jc put Ricky down and they walked up to where I was standing with a questioned look on their face.

"I lost my job! I had no way to support myself and mom and dad said my room was still open."

"Well that still....." I stopped mid sentence, " You lost your Job... and you didn't tell me?!?" I shouted into the phone. Ricky and Jc looked at each other than back to me mouthing ' we're going to see where Connor went' and bolted down the next aisle.

"Because I knew you would freak out like you are right now." she said her voice going meek.

"We WERE living together!" I said angerly. " I would've helped you." I said more calmly.

"That's just it," she responded " I don't need your help. I can do things on my own."

" But friends are suppose to help each other." I said sadly.

"What ever, I can't deal with this right now, I'm about to board the plane. I'll call you when I land" she said her voice drained out of energy.

"okay, bye." I said irritated.

"...Bye" she paused like was going to say something else then hung up the phone. I place my phone into my pocket, grabbed a random popcorn box that was nearest to me walked down to the aisle where the boys were 'casually' looking around.

There was an awkward silence then Connor spoke up. "Sooo....what was that about" he asked even though he overheard the whole conversation.

"My so-called friend got fired so she is moving back into her parents house and didn't tell me." I said still fuming over that she didn't tell me sooner.

" Well maybe she was just scared and didn't know who to turn to and probably thought you would have thought little of her." Jc said sympathetically.

" I would never think little of her... She's my best friend" I said thinking about what he just said. I hope she'd know I would never think anything different about her. I started to feel guilty about yelling at her when she already felt crappy.

"Hey now," Ricky said pulling me into a hug. I didn't realize I was crying until I felt my tears seep into his shirt. " You can call her later and you two can work things out, okay?" he said reassuringly as he pulled out of his hug.

Connor came next to me and then pulled me into yet another hug. "It will be alright. I promise" and for some reason I believed him right away. A little guilt lifted off my shoulders. " Just for now, let's try to have some fun." he said smiling down at me.

I wiped away my stream of tears that were rolling down my face and forced a smile. "That'a girl" he said as he lifted me up , Placing one arm around my back and the other underneath my knees, which made me smile for real.