Chapter 8 - Flustered

Chapter 8: Flustered

Harry grinned at me as we opened the ominous black door and stepped into the dim hallway, lightened by the sound of cheerful violin music bringing the whole building alive with its joy. Mrs Hudson came out of her flat obviously hearing us coming in, unlike Sherlock who must be in his mind palace

“It's lovely isn't it. I haven't heard him playing violin for months.” she gave us both a smile before her eyes dropped to Harry's leg, the smile dropped from her face “Oh no! What happened?” Harry shifted, still balancing on one foot and clinging onto me while I held her crutches still as I had held them when I helped her up the small set of steps.

“I fell down some stairs.” she replied simply. I started towards the next lot of stairs which I knew were going to be a job scaling with Harry leaning all her weight on me. Mrs Hudson went back into her flat, knowing that we had better start climbing the stairs if we were going to get into our flat sometime today.

We eventually managed it, both breathing heavily as I threw the flat door open wincing as it crashed against the wall. The violin playing stopped abruptly and I looked up to see Sherlock staring at us still coming out of his mind palace. He put down his violin and dashed over to help us but instead of supporting Harry he full on picked her up, carrying her over to the sofa and gently putting her down. I had never seen Harry so flustered and she didn't even swing that way. Sherlock then turned to me,

“Tea?” he said in an enthusiastic voice only reserved for when he was fully charged from a good sleep. I smiled and did my duty of making tea and bringing all 3 mugs out on a tray. They were both deep in hushed discussion when I came in so I cleared my throat and they turned to me looking a little bit shocked.

“Was I interrupting something important? By all means carry on.” I set down the teas and went back into the kitchen to get some biscuits. They hadn't continued that conversation though, and instead Harry was commenting on his violin,

“That was lovely music you were playing. John never told me you could play violin.” she gave me a meaningful look which I didn't understand.

“Thank you.” Sherlock replied forcefully. Harry picked up her tea and slurped at it much to Sherlock's annoyance. I snacked on biscuits as we spent the afternoon making polite small talk about the cold weather which had disappeared behind this wonderfully bright day.

Sherlock carried Harry down the stairs with me following them with her crutches to see her off. When we returned to the flat we collapsed into our respective armchairs which cued Sherlock into a spiel about our plan for tomorrow night's date.

“I got fired yesterday Sherlock. If you care.” I mumbled the last bit because I wasn't intending to argue today. His icy blue eyes connected with mine and after a while I had to look away from the intensity. I felt my face heat up ever so slightly.

“I'm sorry that I am such an inconvenience to you John and that it appears I continue to ruin everything good that happens to you.” I would have retaliated but he sounded like he was being genuine so instead I comforted him like any friend would

“You haven't ruined everything good that has happened to me, you haven't ruined our friendship.” and as an end note I added “Yet.” we both chuckled but I saw Sherlock's face turning serious again “I mean it Sherlock and however much it pains me to say this our friendship was the best thing that ever happened to me and so there isn't much either of us could do to undo this.” I motioned between the two of us and when I looked up Sherlock was watching me with sorrowful eyes.

“I'm sure I'll find a way. I always do.” he mumbled, I was sure it wasn't intended for my ears so I chose not to make a remark. Sherlock's constant self hatred made me want to give him another hug but the last time that happened I feared that I might have had to have my arms amputated so I remained sat down, instead looking at Sherlock.

***

I didn't remember falling asleep so when I found myself still in my armchair I groaned slightly. I lifted my head up, wincing at the pain in my neck and lifting my hand to rub it. A surprisingly warm pair of hands beat me to it, the lithe hands working out the pain in my neck and working down to my shoulders. I smiled, continuing to lift my hand to place it on top of Sherlock's hand which was still working at my stiff shoulders which weren't getting any younger. I pulled him round so that he landed in my laptop with an 'oof'. He looked quite shocked but smiled at me after a while, not a forced smile either but a genuinely delighted smile.

“Thank you, Sherlock. That really helped.” he beamed even more brightly at my compliment.

“Good. I don't want my John getting rusty.” I smiled at his use of the words 'my John', leaning my forehead against his shoulder.

“I'm afraid you might be too late to prevent rusting.” I replied jokingly.

“You'll never be rusty to me. I love you John.” Sherlock leaned forward and kissed me...

***

I jolted awake, still finding myself in my armchair with a pain in my neck but this time no warm hands came to fix that for me. I glanced around the room, startled and unnerved by my dream. Sherlock had also fallen asleep in his armchair but he hadn't been awoken like I had. I lifted my hand to my lips, still feeling the butterflies fluttering in my stomach and my heart was galloping and the strangest thing of all was that I wanted the dream to be real.